X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sanding & spot repairs

Hello all..
    was wondering what grade or grades of sandpaper to do you guys
    use to sand out scratches. Currently I am using 1500 and then I top it off with a 3M machine polish buff and this restores the finish to 90% perfect (at some light angles you can see where it was sanded).

I was wondering if any of you use a higher grade or multiple
    grades for even better results.

Secondly, what wood filler do you use for small chips. I am using a Bondo wood filler with stellar appearancee results, but I feel like it doesnt dry quite hard enough. Dents very easily and is un drillable in alot of situations.

Thanks for sharing.. I often let instrtuments keep their personality dings and scratches. I apply the above to "thrashed" bodies I have purchases and restore for myself.

Thanks,

rich

Re: sanding & spot repairs

I should add that I read sully's post about chip repair and it was very helpful but I would like to hear from someone who acutally drops fresh primer and paint in the filled chip.

Rich

Comment

Well, I go up to 2000 with wet sanding. You may also want to use a a rubbing compound before you do the final buffing. It has a little more grit than most polishes which allows it to remove a lot of sanding marks. Also, don't just sand the affected area, sand farther out, it will be less noticeable when you are done. Instead of having a pretty deep low spot, you feather it out.

As for wood fillers, they are hard to get completely dry like body filler for a car. Thats because it has to stay plyable enought to expand and contract with the wood. I try to avoid filler whenever possible by "sweating" the small dings out. If it is a very small chip/ding I cant "sweat" out, I will use 3M spot and glaze putty. You can try a good solvent based wood filler such as Elmers Pro-Bond Filler. I recommend a solvent based over water based as water-based has a lot of shrinkage and a longer drying time.-Lou
      " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Yep, what Lou said. The only couple of things I might add would be the importance of a sanding block, and the use of a catalyzed putty.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Be careful not to go too fine, as you may end up sanding it to a bright glass-like texture and it will end up glossier than the original factory finish... wich will look like ass.

Comment

Wow guys.. thanks!! I had totally forgotten about "sweating" out the dings and the catalyzed putty is something I am going to try.

Rich

Comment

Working...
            X