Yet Another Floyd Set Up Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another Floyd Set Up Question

So I had to go and pooch the set up I did on my CX 391 (with the JT-580).
    [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
    The action was really high so I fixed that but the bridge was leaning forward (towards the neck) quite a bit, and that bugged me. Even though it was in tune and played great I wanted to level it out so it was parallel to the body and so I tightened the springs. That made the tuning go way sharp (my low E string became a G!), so I tuned to pitch, but that just pulled the bridge back up towards the neck!

I did this over and over until I broke a string and left it. I know there's something I'm doing wrong, but I can't put my finger on it. I've searched the web and this forum high and low but I can't find any kind of general "this is how to install a floyd from scratch including trem claw/spring adjustment".

I should probably block the Floyd before I begin, but then what? I'm fairly sure the springs are in good shape, but could this be the cause? I'm kind of at a loss here. I'm using 3 springs and Dean Markley Cutom Lite strings tuned to E. I don't want to block it off for good or anything. I tried 2 springs and that tipped the bridge the other way (towards the tail)!

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, I mean, JCF guys, you're my only hope!
    [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Yet Another Floyd Set Up Question

I think there is some confusion here, as to where the bridge is tilting etc. But let me see if I get this right - the bridge was initially tilting out from the face of the guitar (as if halfway through a divebomb)? Then you tightened the trem claw screws until the bridge was level, which pulled the pitch way up. You retuned, but then the bridge was tilting into the guitar (away from the neck), right?

Anyway, I think the problem is that you're overadjusting the trem claw. When I do this, I just give the screws half a turn, retune to pitch, adjust further, retune, etc. I'd guess the string breaking was just a coincidence, unless you did some really wild adjusting there. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] However, I have noticed that strings tend to break when you start bending them up two whole steps above standard tuning, like you describe in the first attempt.

Just try it again with the method I described, and you should have it nice and level pretty soon.

I usually set up my floyds with a little bit of outward tilt though (towards the neck), as I've gotten the feeling that it helps tuning stability a little. I don't know if it's just in my head though... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

There's a fine balancing act when adjusting the claw springs.
      1st, Loosen the lockdown clamps on the nut.
      2nd, tune the guitar with the tuning keys and set the fine tuners somewhere in the middle. You'll need this later.
      Here's where it gets tricky.
      whether it's leaning or pulling back, only make minor adjustments to the claw tension. One full turn on each screw in the proper direction, then re-tune. Leave the fine tuners out of it for now.
      Keep doing this until your happy with the way it sits.
      And in between each spring adjustment, use the trem. Get the spring happy with it's new position.
      Now depending on how much it was leaning, forward or back, you may have to re-intonate the guitar to get it to stay in tune with it's new position.
      It's tedious work, but well worth it once it's done.
      My guess is the guitar was originaly setup for a different gauge string.
      Anyway... your strings broke because you were probably making drastic changes to the tension.
      If you are still stuck, take it to a shop and have a pro set it up for you.
      It really isn't that hard, but it does take patients and small adjustments.

Edit: Sunbane beat me... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
      -Rick

Comment

To me, and from your description of how things went, it sounds like you tried to tune it an octave up if the bridge keeps tilting toward the neck even after tightening the claw screws. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Try it like this. Your guitar is in tune but the bridge is tilting up.

1) loosen lock nut
          2) tighten springs a bit(the guitar will be sharp now)
          3) tune the guitar back down and see how the bridge is
          4) repeat if necessary
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys! I think my adjustments of the trem claw screws were too much - I was really cranking those baby's! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I will have to wait until after work to fart around with it though. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]
            THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Yeah, because tuning up and tightening the screws on the claw do the same thing to the bridge level, you have to go slow as just leveling the bridge changes the tuning as you have found out. This is the one thing that sux about a floyd.
              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I got it rocking last night and it's very nice. Patience is the key here. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Congrats on your first successful setup job! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                  Now have some fun with that baby! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X