full scalloping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• full scalloping...

I played a Malmsteen Strat yesterday and i really liked the scallop. I'd want to get the same done on my Fender strat. I asked a local shop if their Tech could do the job, but they said no, as it's not recommended as it weakens the neck alot. They recommended i get a refret with 6100 frets. Is this true? if so, would it weaken so much as to break quite easily?

Do 6100 frets give a similar feel of a scalloped neck?
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: full scalloping...

Most of the strength of the neck does not come from the fingerboard, so no, it doesent weaken the neck that much.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I thought so too, the employees have spoken out of their arses on more than one occasion.
      93 USA Soloist EDS
      USA HT6 Juggernaut
      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Warmoth does a nice Scalloped neck. (I have 2 of them) They will only do the scallop procedure on their "Pro-necks" only though. I think they want the extra strength provided by the double acting truss rod as opposed to the single acting vintage rod. They also put on 6100 frets on their scalloped necks.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

we cant have a scalloping thread without this!!!!!

you all knew what was going to happen [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

and yea.. 6100 are quite big... but for that full scalloped feel, get 6000's
          You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

If your strat has the vintage tiny thin frets you will notice a huge difference refretting it with 6100's. I too would suggest getting a replacement scalloped neck from Warmoth. Make sure you get it with 6100's. They make a great scalloped neck and its cheaper than having a luthier scallop your neck.

Comment

I have a "fecker" strat which is my YJM replica, with a warmoth neck with to YJM spec with full scallops maple/maple which is at the tech getting the nut installed right now. I'll let you know when I get it back how it plays. It looks great though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              If you go to warmoth remember to specify to have it finished, and they won't install the brass nut either.
              (I was able to finish it nicely myself though, and getting the nut installed isn't too expensive.)

good luck

Comment

Why don't they do the brass nut?
                I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Why don't they do the brass nut?

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Probably too labor intensive. If you pushed them and paid an upcharge they would probably perform the operation (harder material, than bone, tusk, Graphtech nuts etc.). Still, you really need to do nut's by yourself or a tech with the guitar assembled and the gauge strings your going to use. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Buy a neplacement neck already scalloped . Then if you want to sell the guitar you have the orginal neck.

Comment

Working...
                    X