JT-580 Takeuchi help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT-580 Takeuchi help

I just got my Charvel CX 391 in the mail today and I'm in the process of cleaning it and setting it up.

When I took it out of the case the JT-580 was sitting rather low in the route for the recessed trem, and the strings were pretty much resting on the frets. Unplayable to say the least. There were 3 springs in the back and I removed one but it did little to help. I figured I should take it all apart anyways and give it a thourough once over. When removing the trem, I noticed the trem posts had a bit of play in the sockets. The inserts the posts sit in are not moving - it's the posts themselves.

My question is a 2 parter:

1.) Should the posts have a bit of play or should they sit firm in the inserts?

2.) How high should they stick out of the body once I put them back in? It's a recessed trem cavity btw.

Thanks in advance.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Re: JT-580 Takeuchi help

[ QUOTE ]
    1.) Should the posts have a bit of play or should they sit firm in the inserts?

2.) How high should they stick out of the body once I put them back in? It's a recessed trem cavity btw.

[/ QUOTE ]
    1.) No, there should be no play. Wrap a little bit of the white PTFE plumber's tape around the post threads.

2.) The height issue is a preference as to how you like your action.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks! I will get some of that tape from the other room right away. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

if the strings were sitting too low and removing a spring didn't help, it could be that the last owner had the guitar tuned low. Did you check the tuning before you de-stringed it?

A fresh set of strings and tuning it up correctly should fix the problem. You might want to put that 3rd spring back in there.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Actually, I just finished re-stringng it, and I added the extra spring. I lowered the trem as I went along stretching the strings and have come to a nice compromise. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

It's tuned to E with a set of Deam Markley Custom Lites. Action is nice and low now. This thing plays pretty damn good! Just some fine adjustments and then it's time to rock! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

I have one of those trems but no bar - is it a threaded bar I need to get?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I have one of those trems but no bar - is it a threaded bar I need to get?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my next question. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

yep!

alternatively, you can swap out the whole bar assembly for for a threaded collar type. It's an easy transplant, and a much better setup.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  yep!

alternatively, you can swap out the whole bar assembly for for a threaded collar type. It's an easy transplant, and a much better setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone know how? I believe I have this model trem, and it the bar assembly is an extension of the trem block, ie, if you look at the bottom of it (cavity side) you've got the trem block with spaces for springs, and then it extends below the arm assembly area...

I hope my description makes sense.....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]
                    yep!

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone know how? I believe I have this model trem, and it the bar assembly is an extension of the trem block, ie, if you look at the bottom of it (cavity side) you've got the trem block with spaces for springs, and then it extends below the arm assembly area...

I hope my description makes sense.....

[/ QUOTE ]

It does to me because I have one.

You cannot swap out the bar because the bar goes into the trem-block. You'd have to loose the trem block for a narrow one - if that is possible.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-TREM-BRIDGE-...1QQcmdZViewItem

My bridge is not like the one pictured in this auction otherwise life would be easier.

Comment

I found this old topic about the bridge so no need to create a new one

Here's the question:

What would you pay for JT-580 Takeuchi -made bridge? I need a new one for my JTX. I bought my JTX with a JT-500 in the bridge and now i'd like to get the original setup.
                        I don't want to pay overprice for it, so if you know how much it's worth (about) please reply

Comment

Holy moldy oldie thread bump...

I've seen them for about $70 - $100 new.

I would not pay more than $50 for a used one.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                            Holy moldy oldie thread bump...

I've seen them for about $70 - $100 new.

I would not pay more than $50 for a used one.
                            +1

Comment

I know a JT500 and JT590/Schaller are direct swap but are a JT500 and JT580? I didn't think they were the same post spacing. If they are, what about a JT580LP?
                              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                              X