Q's on Duncan "Full Shred" Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q's on Duncan "Full Shred" Pickup

Anyone care to comment on the Duncan Full Shred Pickup?

I have one laying around and may elect to install it soon in something, but wonder about anyones opinion on it.

Thoughts, comments, or comparisions to anything?

Re: Q\'s on Duncan \"Full Shred\" Pickup

Think of it as a hotter Duncan Jazz. The FS is extremely clear and articulate. When chording, you can hear every single note. Harmonics are very easy to coax out of it. It's a bit too bright for my taste, but still a great pickup.

Comment

Maybe the brightness is the reason it is the neck pickup in a WR1? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I've had one sitting around forever as well. Any well known players use these?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Maybe the brightness is the reason it is the neck pickup in a WR1? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
          Yes, exactly. The Jazz is also a bright pup, mostly used in the neck. Personally, I think it's a great match with the Invader in the bridge on the WR1 (I think a guitar's sound is balanced out better when it's got a warmer pup in the bridge and a brighter pup in the neck).
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

So, the Full Shred isn't exactly a brutal pickup then ehh?

I was thinking (considering the name) it might be a good bridge pickup for a "shred" guitar, haha... It did come as the brisge on a USA BC Rich I have... SS-1 or SS-3 or something like that...

Comment

Actually, I just realized they make a neck and bridge version. Seems to be less hot than a JB, though. Check out the tone chart on the pdf link. http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...l#FullShred153
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have one in the bridge of an ESP of mine. I like it alot. As Travis said, the harmonics jump out of it. Great little pickup.

Comment

Don't let the specs fool you. I have an ash DR-2 with a Full Shred in the bridge (replaced the stock Screamin' Demon) and Jazz in the neck, and the Full Shred is AWESOME. I consider it a step up from the JB because it stays nice and tight on the low end, especially for palm muting; the JB gets muddy. It's no slouch for lead tone either. Although a not-so-good mix doesn't show it off very well, I used that guitar to record most of my tracks on our CD, and plan to use it again next time around.

I also have a Full Shred in the Soloist Pro I play at most of our gigs, which I used to replace a Duncan Custom. Not as bright as in the DR-2, which is probably a good thing live. Those two guitars get more use than any of my others, mostly because of the Full Shred.
                  sigpic

Comment

I have the Full Shred in my WR1 in the neck and it is AWESOME like Inazone stated above!!! Never tried one in the bridge so no help there [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool... May have to dust it off and have a go with it... Everything I own has EMG 81s in them. Might be time to play with this...

Thanx for the great input!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

george lynch; that was his pickup before the screamin' demon.
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC they came stock in Nightswans so I'd assume Vivian Campbell might have been using them in the time frame in which those were made.
                          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

george lynch; that was his pickup before the screamin' demon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure he wasn't using Duncan Distortions back then?

When I ask about what Vivian Campbell uses, I get conflicting results of either a Full Shred or an Invader.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Cool... May have to dust it off and have a go with it... Everything I own has EMG 81s in them. Might be time to play with this...

Thanx for the great input!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking the Full Shred will be the passive equivelent to an EMG81 - let me know how it sounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X