PDA

View Full Version : Q's on Duncan "Full Shred" Pickup

Cleveland Metal
10-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Anyone care to comment on the Duncan Full Shred Pickup?

I have one laying around and may elect to install it soon in something, but wonder about anyones opinion on it.

Thoughts, comments, or comparisions to anything?

1trussell
10-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Think of it as a hotter Duncan Jazz. The FS is extremely clear and articulate. When chording, you can hear every single note. Harmonics are very easy to coax out of it. It's a bit too bright for my taste, but still a great pickup.

StukaJU87
10-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Maybe the brightness is the reason it is the neck pickup in a WR1? /images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif

DonP
10-12-2005, 02:43 PM
I've had one sitting around forever as well. Any well known players use these?

toejam
10-12-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the brightness is the reason it is the neck pickup in a WR1? /images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, exactly. The Jazz is also a bright pup, mostly used in the neck. Personally, I think it's a great match with the Invader in the bridge on the WR1 (I think a guitar's sound is balanced out better when it's got a warmer pup in the bridge and a brighter pup in the neck).

Cleveland Metal
10-12-2005, 04:06 PM
So, the Full Shred isn't exactly a brutal pickup then ehh?

I was thinking (considering the name) it might be a good bridge pickup for a "shred" guitar, haha... It did come as the brisge on a USA BC Rich I have... SS-1 or SS-3 or something like that...

toejam
10-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Actually, I just realized they make a neck and bridge version. Seems to be less hot than a JB, though. Check out the tone chart on the pdf link. http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/humbuckersdescr.shtml#FullShred153

mogar
10-12-2005, 04:15 PM
I have one in the bridge of an ESP of mine. I like it alot. As Travis said, the harmonics jump out of it. Great little pickup.

Inazone
10-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Don't let the specs fool you. I have an ash DR-2 with a Full Shred in the bridge (replaced the stock Screamin' Demon) and Jazz in the neck, and the Full Shred is AWESOME. I consider it a step up from the JB because it stays nice and tight on the low end, especially for palm muting; the JB gets muddy. It's no slouch for lead tone either. Although a not-so-good mix doesn't show it off very well, I used that guitar to record most of my tracks on our CD, and plan to use it again next time around.

I also have a Full Shred in the Soloist Pro I play at most of our gigs, which I used to replace a Duncan Custom. Not as bright as in the DR-2, which is probably a good thing live. Those two guitars get more use than any of my others, mostly because of the Full Shred.

DarkSaga
10-12-2005, 05:24 PM
I have the Full Shred in my WR1 in the neck and it is AWESOME like Inazone stated above!!! Never tried one in the bridge so no help there /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cleveland Metal
10-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Cool... May have to dust it off and have a go with it... Everything I own has EMG 81s in them. Might be time to play with this...

Thanx for the great input!

sully
10-12-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

george lynch; that was his pickup before the screamin' demon.

YetAnotherOne
10-12-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC they came stock in Nightswans so I'd assume Vivian Campbell might have been using them in the time frame in which those were made.

DonP
10-13-2005, 08:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure he wasn't using Duncan Distortions back then?

When I ask about what Vivian Campbell uses, I get conflicting results of either a Full Shred or an Invader.

DonP
10-13-2005, 08:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cool... May have to dust it off and have a go with it... Everything I own has EMG 81s in them. Might be time to play with this...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking the Full Shred will be the passive equivelent to an EMG81 - let me know how it sounds.

sully
10-13-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure he wasn't using Duncan Distortions back then?

When I ask about what Vivian Campbell uses, I get conflicting results of either a Full Shred or an Invader.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% sure. he was in duncan ads as a full shred guy. i'm also 100% sure that viv used invaders back in the day. that's how i learned about what an invader was.

sully

toejam
10-13-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking the Full Shred will be the passive equivelent to an EMG81 - let me know how it sounds.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Full Shred doesn't have that much gain. The DiMarzio X2N is more of the equivalent of the 81... even better, though.

Twisteramps
10-13-2005, 10:07 AM
I have a full shred trembucker in my Ibanez 560RG - very midrange heavy pickup.

Pete

Junior
10-13-2005, 10:08 AM
I had always heard the Full Shred was designed for Vivian. George pop's up every couple of years on the Duncan Forum, and the last time he was there he mentioned using the JB and the Distortion before the Screamin Demon. But he switched back to the JB and used it in the Bengal for Wicked Underground album.
But I guess he has a new guitar (ESP) coming out with a new Duncan model. Suppose to be a supped up JB.

IMO, the Full Shred seems to be a cross between the JB and the Custom. More lows, less highs, but plenty of mids.

toejam
10-13-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO, the Full Shred seems to be a cross between the JB and the Custom. More lows, less highs, but plenty of mids.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm. I didn't care for the JB, but I love the Custom I have in my 7-string.

LRGman
10-14-2005, 04:56 PM
I had a nightswan-Dug the pickup in Mahogany- Its a cool pickup cause its not so heavy with gain that its muddy. Good pickup IMO. Don't know if you would consider it the be all end all for a crushing sound.

I use to get free EMGS from a bro at the time swapped out the Full shred jb for 81/85 ended up putting the full shred back end.

But to put it in perspective I prefer and 85 in the bridge over 81. I like the darkness that an 85 brings to the bridge.

Anyway the FS is a good pickup. Its worth checking out if looking for something else afterall you are not looking for it to sound like an 81 or you would just put one in.

Madness
10-15-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a ton Sully, I was wondering about that a few days ago.

Cleveland Metal
10-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Great responses guys! Thanks...

Listening to their sound bytes, I find the Full shred to be one of the more pleasing sounding pickups that they have (to my ears actually).

I had it in a Model 4 a long time ago, and took it out, since it was so different from the rest of my EMG guitars that I had to really re-EQ my rig in the middle of a show when I used it live. I remember liking it though, once it was dialed in. But, it's been so long I wanted some of your thoughts.

Thanks! Seems promising.

pott
10-17-2005, 01:32 PM
I have it in my model 4 right now. I made a big thread on here with a review. You should check it out /images/graemlins/smile.gif