open string buzz on my SL2H!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• open string buzz on my SL2H!

I have a open string buzz on 3rd string! now I think 2nd string has the same problem. is it possible if i have tighten the lock to much so that the grooves on nut make string moving under the lock? it has a bad sound when playing clean [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] is there anything that can help?

Re: open string buzz on my SL2H!

Is it fretting out or is it a rattling noise?

If it's fretting out (grinding out against the frets), you may have a fret that is lifting out of the board, or your locking nut might be worn. Check the lock by tuning the string with the peg on the head while it's locked. If the pitch changes, the lock is worn. If it doesn't change, then it may be a high/lifting fret.

Then again, it might be that the truss rod needs adjuting depending on the type of weather you're having or what the guitar has been exposed to (going from warm to cold, etc).

If it's a rattling sound, wiggle the tremolo saddles as it's probably one of them making the noise. Mine was doing that a few days ago when I put on new strings (10s tuned to E) and it was the 4th saddle rattling. All I did was tighten the fine tuner a bit more to get more pressure on the saddle and retune it at the headstock.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks Newc, well i would say it's rattling. one thing is there, when i'm playing clean sometimes 2th string is making some noise if i'm not muting it! same noise when i pick on it but lower. even after few string replacement i still have it! if it's a fret problem shouldn't i hear the noise when it's not freted? i mean i hear it only when i play open string!

Comment

Maybe. If it's the first fret, then you won't hear it if you're fretting anything.

Check for loose tuner knobs - those sometimes come loose and rattle.

Cavity covers, too.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Probably a neck adjustment would help. Give it a little relief.

Comment

with open string buzz, i usually try relief first (as chuck suggested) or a nut shim.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Could also be the floyd nut - I recently had a buzz on a high E string that drove me crazy on one of my Jap Strats. Traced it to a groove in the bottom of the floyd nut. Replaced that, all is well. Check the floyd nut if it's not relief. Probably doesn't need a nut shim if the problem didn't use to exist and the neck relief is correct.

Pete

Comment

good call!
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                X