Possible damage...need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible damage...need advice

I can't believe this happened to me the other day! I stood up to play (my DK2) and the strap was twisted over on the bottom post, unknown to me, and as soon as the weight of the guitar transferred to the strap it totally fell off my neck and hit the floor! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I just stood there for a second in shock. Luckily the floor had padding and carpet but it took a hard hit, hard enough to totally severe the cord at the jack. I just put it away right there on the spot so I didn't realize the extent of any damage until I got home later that night. After I got home and starting looking it over closely I realized it also hit the tremelo bar since it was also pointing in the down position similar to the cord. It was WAY out of tune so I loosenedd the locking nuts and gave it a good re-tune and tried playing with the tremelo excessively for a few minutes just to work things back into place. Well, it's been several days and it still acts like something is wrong. It keeps going slightly out of tune, not really bad but enough to notice by ear. I'm wondering if the force on the tremelo affected the posts in the body in any way but it's too hard to tell. The posts "look" ok but I've never messed with that area on any guitar before so I don't know what's normal. Also, I thought about tightening the posts but I don't know how far down they are supposed to be seated, all the way? I realize this changes the action so I'm guessing my setup will be screwed. Any suggestions?
    E = Fb

Re: Possible damage...need advice

You need to take it apart to see if you damaged the body where the post are located. Also take note if the studs going into the post are damaged, or the knife edges on the trem are damaged. Probably other stuff to check but I can't think of anything else right now.

Comment

check the spring cavity as well. make sure the springs are secure in their proper positions.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

My guess is that the trems studs have been shoved out of place. The only way to fix it is the remove, dowel, and redrill. Or, you may be able to find a DK2 body somewhere and swap the body.-Lou
        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          My guess is that the trems studs have been shoved out of place. The only way to fix it is the remove, dowel, and redrill. Or, you may be able to find a DK2 body somewhere and swap the body.-Lou

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I never thought of that. I guess I need to find a good luthier in my area then. However, I'm not too sure one exists in Corpus Christi. Can you guys recommend someone through the 'net? Either that or can you suggest how to do this myself. I'm pretty good with tools but I wouldn't have a way of clamping down the body for the redrill. I'd guess you'd need a drill press for that to keep the body square to the bit.
          E = Fb

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I never thought of that. I guess I need to find a good luthier in my area then. However, I'm not too sure one exists in Corpus Christi. Can you guys recommend someone through the 'net? Either that or can you suggest how to do this myself. I'm pretty good with tools but I wouldn't have a way of clamping down the body for the redrill. I'd guess you'd need a drill press for that to keep the body square to the bit.

[/ QUOTE ] This may sound stupid, but I have an idea. Are there any highschools around you that have a woodshop? With the instructors supervision, I bet those kids would love to work on that guitar. Idea 2: Take it to a cabinet shop. Anything would be cheaper than taking it to a luthier. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

OK, hold on here. Slow down.

"...totally severe the cord at the jack."

So, is that where it hit the floor? At the cord area/lower bout?

"It was WAY out of tune..."

That's because it's a bolt-on, and the neck shifted ever-so-slightly in the pocket. That's common when they hit the ground.

"It keeps going slightly out of tune, not really bad but enough to notice by ear."

So how do you know it's going out of tune? With a tuner? It was doing that before you dropped it.

My bet is that there's nothing wrong with the guitar at all. A drop onto a carpeted floor is not going to somehow screw up the trem posts in any way, shape, or form. As long as you didn't break the headstock off the guitar, it's fine.

I think you are freaked out about dropping the guitar and need to chill. You're inventing problems in your mind. The guitar is fine. At the most, you may want to crack loose the neck screws and shift the neck so it's perfectly lined up, if it isn't already. Otherwise, it's fine. Play it!

Comment

i have bolt ons that i can shift the neck in the pocket by pulling up or down forcefully. but i can tell witch way it is supposed to sit and make sure i put it back in that position if i drop it or banged it against somthing. (i know i've spun the neck or headstock into a support poll in the basement a few times when i was standing to close when rocking out.) like chuck said. just line back up and it'l be fine. i've even had guitars with loose trem posts. no problems. you just got to know the personalities of each guitar you own. they all have their querks.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

It sounds like the neck bearings are sticking... Maybe they need some grease. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

...Just kidding [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, check around the horns and make sure the neck did not crack the pocket. If it shifted enough it would cause it to happen. Be careful adjusting the neck. Make sure you have it unstrung or the tension could cause damage.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Just slightly loosen the screws and knock that sucker back into place, then re-tighten the screws.
                    Nuttin to it. No need to tip-toe around it.

Comment

Hey Chuckracer,

I think that makes the most sense. I'm totally freaked out about it, and probably just too paranoid that something is massively wrong. But yes, to answer your question I was checking it with a tuner to make sure I wasn't just hearing things. However, today when I checked it again it seemed fine.

I already looked around the neck pocket for signs of cracking and I didn't see any. But if you recall, I'm the one that posted the photos of the autographed neck that I clear coated myself. So, the neck was recently off and maybe I don't have it totally torqued back into spec. I'll loosen the neck bolts and follow your advice. Thanks.
                      E = Fb

Comment

No problem at all, bro. I really didn't want to see you spending money when you didn't have to.

It's common for a bolt on neck to shift a hair if you drop the guitar. Believe me...I've fired a few across the stage in my younger, slightly more "invigorated" years. Nowadays I can't be arsed!

Just half a turn loose on the screws, pop it on either side until your E strings are even distance from the edges of the board, and tighten.
                        Re-check the screws after a couple weeks...they'll probably snug up some more as the wood in the neck pocket and the neck heel slightly compress.

Glad she's all good!

Comment

Working...
                        X