Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feedback - "hot" pickup or something wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback - "hot" pickup or something wrong?

The "Inazone Signature" Dinky that I posted about last month really turned out nice, with killer solo tone from the DiMarzio Steve's Special, but I'm getting a lot of feedback. Unless I back off the volume about halfway or turn my preamp gain way down, it's almost instantaneous when I'm not playing, and those aren't options at a gig unless I want to give up my tone. Lowering the pickup made no apparent difference.

The Steve's Special is definitely the hottest pickup I own, and since I previously have used lower-output pickups, I don't know where to start in terms of correcting this...or if it's a sign that something is wrong with the pickup. There isn't any unusual buzzing or other noises that I would attribute to a grounding problem. Standing close to my amp makes no difference. I do have other pickups that feed back a little, but not to this extent, and I don't want to crank my noise gate too far.

Is this just a fact of life with high-output pickups, or is there possibly something wrong?
    sigpic

Re: Feedback - \"hot\" pickup or something wrong?

Sounds like you have a screwed up pickup there. The "hotness" shouldn't have any bearing on the feedback sensitivity.

Do you use a lot of gain at high volume?

Comment

Sure do. It doesn't happen on the clean channel.
      sigpic

Comment

But you didn't have this problem with other pickups?
        Yup, it a harmonic pickup.

Comment

Is there a cure that doesn't require more cowbell?
          sigpic

Comment

I had a microphonic pickup that squealed like a stuck pig. I sent it to JGCable and he potted it for me. Quick and reasonable. Problem solved. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Working...
            X