Nicked fret fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicked fret fix?

One of my frets on the upper register has a slight nick in it, almost like a string impression although it is not directly under the string. The b string snags on it a little when bending. Is there a safe easy way to fix this or at least minimize the problem? Any help appreciated.

Re: Nicked fret fix?

I had the same issue once. My tech did a fret level and recrown of *all* frets, not just the indented one. Problem is you can't just file down one fret by itself to get rid of the impression, unless it's really really shallow.

Comment

That's what thought. I was hoping the nick would not be so apparent after I put a little playing time in that area...

Comment

FYI - If you just file one fret - it will them be out of level with the rest and you will get buzzing etc.
        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I have seen this as well; if a fret has a nick, in it, the factory will often fill it in with solder. Sometimes it falls out, and you are left with what you are seeing. Surprisingly, this is not an uncommon practice for guitar manufacturers.

Find a good luthier, and it will be good as new after a file and redress. They should only have to do the frets above and including the damaged one.

- E.
          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Personally, I'd lightly file that fret, certainly if it's kind of on the side of the fret.

Comment

couldn't you just replace that one fret and file and crown it level with the others?
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

"Just"??!

Comment

what chuck said; you may get by with lightly filing that fret. you may want to just try a little bit of 320 grit paper to knock the edge off of that nick. move up to 400, then 600, then buff it out with some steel wool. that may take care of the issue for you.

the solder fix isn't uncommon, and i think it's kinda looked at as a temporary filling to hold you over until you need a fret level. but that's just my thought.
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                  X