high e on my model 3 not locking properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high e on my model 3 not locking properly

my charvel model 3 is giving me some trouble atm. the high e string doesn't lock properly, meaning that if i bend the string behind the nut (for example by putting spare picks between the tuners and the nut like i always do) the string will get out of tune. furthermore, if i use the whammy bar it also won't stay in tune. i suspect that the locking nut doesn't properly lock the string anymore.
    how can i solve this? keep in mind, it's a charvel with a jt6 trem, which means that it's a pain in the ass to deal with the locking nut. switching the block that's locking the strings down means that i have to take off the whole thing. stupid jt6 [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Re: high e on my model 3 not locking properly

the clamping block on the headstock is probably goofed up. You might be able to rotate it 90 degrees (one turn) and fix it. Otherwise, it's probably so grooved that it's not clamping properly.

Pete

Comment

Welcome to the joys of the cheap-ass Jackson JT6 Trem.

"Oh, it works every bit as good as a Floyd..." Blow me it does. Floyds don't generally develop this problem...I'll bet the majority of JT6 system guitars do.

Put a Floyd nut on it...problem solved.

Comment

<font color="aqua">absolutely, the housings are a crappy cast piece and since the housing is actually softer metal than the locking plates, this is often what happens:

</font>
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

get kahlers direct replacement behind the nut locker.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I had the same issue and got some new clamping blocks from Mr budman68. The thing works perfectly now.
            THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Fragle, Travis has one in the classifieds right now you may want to grab, if somebody else doesn't beat you to it.

Comment

thanks for the offer, but i think i'm better off getting one via ebay.de than having to deal with oversea shipping and taxes and stuff.

and of course, thanks for the replies.

Comment

ok, i'm thinking if the original jt6 nut isn't really reliable in this case, maybe i should go and get a floyd rose locking nut. is it a direct replacement, or are there any mods to be done?

Comment

The Floyd would require a pro install.

Comment

mh...are there any other manufacturers that offer direct replacement locking nuts for the jt6? schaller, warmoth, rockinger?

Comment

Working...
                      X