EMG's in a Les Paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG's in a Les Paul?

I have a LP Custom that is slowly becoming my number 1 over my Jacksons. I'm an EMG person though, but I'm on the fence with rewiring the entire thing. I won't ever get rid of it because it was a graduation present from my mother (so it has a huge sentimental value), which is why I'm thinking "to hell with it, make it so you never want to put it down". Who else has EMG's in their LP's? I'm thinking 60 neck, 85 bridge, though can swap an 81 in if it gets too muddy.

Re: EMG\'s in a Les Paul?

I've got EMGs in my Musician's Friend Exclusive "Vintage Mahogany" Studio... even the carved top is mahogany!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] An 85/60 would be a great combo. Mine's got an 85 in the bridge with a chrome 25th anniversary 81 in the neck. No mud at all.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Zakk Wylde [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

But so do I. I have 2 81's in my LP Custom, and I really dig the sound.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I had EMG's in my LP Studio, it sounded amazing. I'm 99.999% sure I'm going to add some to my Custom as well.

Comment

BLASPHEMY!!!!

Comment

I've had the same thoughts,... Love EMG's, just not sure if I should do it to my LPC... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

I have to agree with Ace & Charlz. I have a 1999 Alpine White Les Paul Custom and I wouldn't dream of taking out the original pickups. I've had a few Les Pauls in my day, but this is the only one that has ever stayed with me.

In fact I spend most of my time trying to get the rest of my guitars to sound as good as my LPC.

Comment

I've always had passives in my Les Pauls, but Zack sounds pretty awesome with EMG's in his LP. Give it a try...

Comment

I threw one in the bridge of my studio, and was pretty impressed. Obviously the guitar still has the low mid grind it had before, but now sustain is even longer than it was before, the low end is tighter, and leads flow easier. So far I'm pretty happy with it!! I figure I will try this out for a bit before I take the soldering iron to my LPC again. I plan on keeping the original pickups for it, but its a lovely player, and sounds pretty good, but not quite where I want it.

Comment

That's why I changed out the BurstBucker Pro pups in my Studio. I thought the Gibson pups were really nice, but I was looking for more gain and a less hollow tone. The EMGs did wonders for the sound.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i got a les paul with 85s on the bridge and 60s on the neck and sounds really good, i dont regret it at all,GO FOR IT!!!!

Comment

Go for it. I had a LP Standard with 85 on the bridge, I loved it, it was the best sounding guitar I have ever owned until I got my Korina KV-1.

Comment

I just pulled my EMGs out of my Les Paul Classic and they'll never go back in, 81/85. They sounded ok, but I now have SD Alnico II Pro neck, and a ToneZone bridge and I'm really happy! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But do what sounds good to you. I liked it for a while, but I guess my tastes changed. The combination of PUs I have now seem to make my amp sing with the LP.

Jason

Comment

Exactly - do what sounds good to you.

I have three Lesters, but my historic with BB1&2 (not Pros) sounds amazing and cuts like there is not end. Never going to change this one.

My 2002 Std has BB Pros, and I hate to take this apart because it's 100% original. BB Pro's aren't my favorite - little on the harsh side.

My 1996 Classic Premium Plus is my pickup swapping workhorse. I tend to go back to a pair of zebra 496R/500T pickups, because they are 4 conductor and I have push/pull tone pots to split the coils.

In general, I think Lesters are pretty awesome by themselves and don't really need a high output pickup. I prefer EMGs in my Kellys and RR's.

Comment

i got 81/85 in my SG its incredible - plus lots of modern metal acts do that now anyway what with ESP 'cost 10 times more than i'm worth' guitars. u get an amazing depth off them esp if u use a little delay george lynch styley its incredible plus u also lose the huim associated with other 'passive pickups and the crunch is really good even with less gain

Comment

Working...
                              X