Floyd Locknut specs 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Locknut specs 101

I have seen some confusion lately concerning locking nuts, so here are specs for the most common Schaller-made Floyd Rose locking nuts. I hope someone finds this helpful! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

NUT# R1 WIDTH 1-9/16" SPACING 1.30 HEIGHT .225 RADIUS 10" DESCRIPTION Narrow nut.

NUT# R2 WIDTH 1-5/8" SPACING 1.37 HEIGHT .225 RADIUS 10" DESCRIPTION Average Strat.

NUT# R3 WIDTH 1-11/16" SPACING 1.40 HEIGHT .275 RADIUS 10" DESCRIPTION Wide width, narrow spacing for binding.

NUT# R4 WIDTH 1-11/16" SPACING 1.43 HEIGHT .275 RADIUS 10" DESCRIPTION Wide width, wide spacing.

NUT# R5 WIDTH 1-3/4" SPACING 1.50 HEIGHT .275 RADIUS 10" DESCRIPTION Very wide.

NUT# R6 WIDTH 1-9/16" SPACING 1.30 HEIGHT .225 RADIUS 10" DESCRIPTION Same as #1 with bullet relief.

NUT# R7 WIDTH 1-5/8" SPACING 1.37 HEIGHT .225 RADIUS 10" DESCRIPTION Same as #2 with bullet relief.

NUT# R8 WIDTH 1-11/16" SPACING 1.43 HEIGHT .225 RADIUS 15" DESCRIPTION Same as #4 with flatter radius.
    Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Re: Floyd Locknut specs 101

Ok, so it looks like R3, R4, and R5 are tall nuts (.275), but my ESP project nut is 1-11/16" but needs a short (.225) nut. My neck has binding, and the frets go over the binding.

The R2 nut works, but it just doesn't go to the ends of the fretboard. I guess I'm stuck with it. The R3 nut is the perfect width, but it's too tall.

Very helpful, but I think I want to cry [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Comment

According to the specs I have, the R8 is a short nut, but the 15" radius may be a problem. Does your guitar have top mount or thru-the neck nut mounting holes? If it is top mount you could pick up one of those licensed R3 nuts on ebay that are used on imports and are lower in height than Schaller made nuts. You may want to contact Mighty Mite to check the heights? The locking nuts they sell are top or thru-the neck mountable and may be the lower height that you need. Good luck, hope you can find what you need, Don!
      Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

hey donp, many licensed floyd nuts are shorter. you may be able to make it work with a licensed r3.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'll pick up some of the copies on the bay then. I was worried about the quality.

I need a rear mount. My OFR R3 is a dual top/rear mount, so maybe the licensed ones are as well.

Comment

Working...
          X