Duncan '59 vs Duncan Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan '59 vs Duncan Custom

Right now, my favorite combination is a Custom in the bridge and '59 in the neck. I was thinking about trying a '59 in the neck. Anyone have any comments?

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Duncan \'59 vs Duncan Custom

do you mean trying a 59 in the bridge? i've had them in a few guitars and they're okay, but a bit too mellow for my tastes. the custom is between a jb and a distortion, so if you go down to the 59, you may be a bit dissapointed depending on what you want out of the pickup.

hey, when you coming back up here?

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yes, I meant a '59 in the bridge. That's kind of what I thought about being mellow, but thought I'd ask. I only have one guitar with a Custom in the bridge and you can really tell the difference, especially when recording. It's clear, you hear all the strings. It got high output but it's not muddy at all. Plus the high end isn't over the top like a JB. I've got one Custom waiting to go in my next guitar and I still need one more to go in my Star.

I've been up a few times lately, but haven't had time to go anywhere. It's either been a whirlwind day trip or some kind of company deal where I can't get off on my own. I'll be up soon, we need to go get a Shiner [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm liking this combo lately, too. Or, even better, a Custom with a Classic Stacked in the neck/middle.

Comment

I've got dual 59's in two of my Hamers and they are quite versatile. They are more rock oriented than metal, but with the right amp, the 59 will do just about anything. And it will do it well.

Comment

To be honest, I haven't had any personal experience(loaded in guitar/s)with either. But I have a buddy who has one(59)and from what I can hear and notice from him(the buddy)they are very verstile pickups, they can do just about anything.

Personal, my preference are the SD screamin demon(lynch) and the SH-14. I have two electrics, ESP Kamakazi has humbucker(screamin demon)and single coil(duckbucker)I put this one in later. The duckbucker is a wonderful little hot strat tone that can drive like a humbucker, very sweet. Good clean strat like tones, I love it. It sounds a slight better in a maple body compared to an alder body, but not much though. The other, a mutt that has only a single humbucker. It has the maple body and the sh-14. A very solid hard rock early metal tone, actually I use it more for VH stuff than anything else. If theres a few classic VH tunes in the set list or some family or friends request some early VH. Its the guitar I use. Between the maple body and the sh-14 pickup, ts great at getting the VH classic tone.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
            X