complete fretboard replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• complete fretboard replacement?

Hey, I have some customization ideas floating around in my head, and I have a couple questions:

Is fretboard replacement on a bolt-on neck a worthwhile venture, or is it too expensive to do? How much do you guys think it would cost to have a luthier do this?

If not replacing the fretboard, what about an inlay job, replacing inlays with new ones of the same shape but different material?

Thanks,

Steve

Re: complete fretboard replacement?

no idea what the cost of fretboard replacement would be, but to have inlays redone, you should figure in a refret as well. most folks don't like doing inlay work with frets in the fretboard.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Budman posted a thing of him and Mrs Bud removing a fretboard, and it looked like about $500 worth of labor - easily [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'd say it's not worth it on a bolt-on neck.

If you can live with it, I'd have the inlays airbrushed and cleared rather than replaced (you don't know what kinda damage the fretboard would end up with).
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

For the price of part/labor, you're better off buying a replacment neck.

Comment

Good to know.. thanks guys [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

it also depends on what kind of wood you want

Comment

Depending on the complexity of the inlays and cost of materials, custom inlays could cost anywhere from $150 to $300 for a fairly basic job. Inlays that span several frets, such as the ever-so-trendy vine or tribal patterns, can cost a LOT more.

If you are just replacing dots or blocks, you can probably save some money buy finding a supplier that sells pre-cut material.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm replacing a fretboard on a bolt-on neck, totally worth it to me, but your mileage may vary. Depends what the guitar cost you, what it's worth to you and how much more you want to spend. You can get anything done, just depends if you want to.

Comment

Well I have a guitar coming in soon and I was thinking about customizing the hell out of it with a refin and either a maple board with black sharks, or a set of colored inlays to match the finish on the body.. but it's probably not worth it to put all that into the guitar.
                  It should be a sweet player as is, and is in no real need of such drastic aesthetic changes-- hell, it already has a bound ebony board with mop sharkies (I'm fairly sure they're mop) and looks sweet as-is.

I could use a decal or something to spice up the body, though.. anyone know where I can get something good?

Comment

Working...
                  X