Replacing J200 with Duncan Classic Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing J200 with Duncan Classic Stack

I wanted to replace the J200 single coils that are in my Jackson soloist with Duncan Classic stacks. I just couldn't take the Jackson active electronics anymore and wanted to go all passive. Duncan Distorion in the bridge and Classic Stack for single coils.

Well I went to pull the J200's out I noticed that the routed out area cannot accomadate the Duncan single coils.

Does anyone know any passive single coils that would fit? Or would a pro be able to route out the area for a duncan classic stack withou completely f@#$ing up the guitar?

Thanks, Dave

Re: Replacing J200 with Duncan Classic Stack

Seymour Duncan SSL-3 will fit.

Comment

Thanks plon! I'll look in to those pickups.

Dave

Comment

The J-200s are passive pups. It's the preamp in the guitar that turns it into an active system. You can just remove the preamp and use the pickups passively.

Comment

Thanks for the response Sunbane. I did remove the Jackson preamp and the J200's sounds a hell of a lot quieter. I had to really crank up the clean channel just to get them to cut through. Then I tried one of my strats (original pickups) and the clean was booming. And those pickups have an output of a little over 5k.

That is what surprised me. I measured the J200's to have a DC resistance of around 11k.

Thanks, Dave

Comment

This question pops up pretty frequently when people want to replace J200s, especially in Model Series & toothpaste logo Charvels. You can special order Duncans without the lip so they can fit the route, rather than compromising on the model you go with. IIRC, it takes about 6 weeks or so to get them. Another approach is to carefully undercut the route with a Dremel tool to allow you to rock the lipped pickup into place. It can be done so that you can't tell from the surface, but it's understandable that some folks would rather not do this sort of mod.

Comment

Thanks for the response dg! I did not know that I could order those single coils without the lip. I wanted to put in the Classic Stack, but of course it wouldn't fit. I'm gonna call Seymour Duncan tomorrow and ask about it. I think I'd rather wait the special order time, then attempt the mod you spoke of.

I love the look (Seattle Space Needle custom graphic) and playability of this guitar, but want it to sound as great as my other Jackson, which is loaded with a Duncan Distortion.

Comment

Yeah, I have to agree - the J200s aren't exactly thrilling! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Btw...wouldn't it be possible to just cut the lip off the pickup with a dremel? Or would that damage the pickup itself?

Comment

I think there is wiring on the lip. You would have to carefully relocate the tiny wires of the pickup somewhere else. Not for the faint of heart...

Comment

You're right there DonP. I would not have the guts to even attempt cutting off the lip, let alone trying to relocate the lead wire.

Thanks, Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X