Floyd vs. TOM question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd vs. TOM question

I was wondering if a string-thru TOM will make the strings higher off the body i.e. change the way it plays, compared to a standard recessed floyd?

I'm accustomed to playing recessed floyds but I never use the bar, so I'm thinking of going TOM on my next purchase...but I really like that "right hand feeling" (no pun intended [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) I get from the floyd so I don't wanna screw up my technique either.

should I go for TOM with sperzels or maybe get a recessed floyd and block it? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    also, is it possible to quickly go from standard to drop tuning when you have sperzel tuners?

(BTW, I have no way of doing "try before you buy")

- Rune.

Re: Floyd vs. TOM question

TOMs have a neck angle that's more similar to a non-recessed Floyd. If you're really finicky about such things, you might not like it. I find no problem switching between the two, though.

Comment

Yup, the neck will be angled, like on a Les Paul - with the bridge/strings higher off the body.

Go to any ol' guitar store and try a TOMmed guitar, and analyze how it feels to you. If you don't like it, just go with sperzels and block the Floyd. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        also, is it possible to quickly go from standard to drop tuning when you have sperzel tuners?

[/ QUOTE ]
        Yes, they technically don't "lock" like a locking nut would. They're like regular tuners, except you don't need any winding of the string around the post (this helps prevent slippage like could happen on a normal tuner). You basically unlock the thumb wheel on back of the tuner, put the string in, pull the string tight to take up any slack, then you tighten the thumb wheel. There's a tiny pin in the post that lowers when you loosen the thumb wheel. When you tighten the thumb wheel, it pushes the pin up and, therefore, "locks" it agains the string so it won't move.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sperzels' locking screws do fall out if they are left loose, so that's something you should watch for if you do get them. I used to not like the way that TOM bridges lift the strings higher from the body, but now I prefer it. I feel slightly cramped when I play a recesed Floyd, but nothing major...

Comment

Working...
          X