Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do heavier gauges require some getting used to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do heavier gauges require some getting used to?

I switch from 10-50's to 10-60's. (from Drop C to Drop A tuning.) I am wondering if it is common to have to build up more finger strength to get used to the extra tension and if it something you just have to get used to. I really like how our stuff sounds in Drop A, and I am going to be playing a lot to get used to this new setup. Any comments?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: Do heavier gauges require some getting used to

Oh yes, it will probably take a bit of time before you grow comfortable with it. If you do bends and stuff on the heavy strings, you will definitely improve your finger strength.

I used to use 010-052 for standard tuning for the last few years, but then I decided to go down a notch to 010-046, because I had trouble bending the heavy strings at the 2nd and 3rd fret. That made me realize just how strong I had gotten though, and I had to concentrate on playing with a softer touch.

I can barely play a regular 009 set now. I pull all the notes off key. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

There's tension at dropped A and 10-60's?
      Jeez...just get a baritone and get some intonation back!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

For your information guy.... it IS a baritone. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Kind of a key bit of information, wouldn't ya think? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Eh a guitar is a guitar. I figure there is going to be extra tension on it be it a baritone or otherwise.

Comment

Well, if you're tuning lower, going with higher gauge strings will keep the tension about the same.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes, this is true. However, you were asking a specific question about a specific amount of tension increase, and failed to tell us it was a baritone and not a traditional guitar scale we're talking about.

So any answer you get is kinda clapping with one hand when you're asking for advice. Therefore, it's an important tidbit of information you really should have included.

Comment

yeah its not like tuning down on a shortscale. then you 12's would be no problem.

Comment

Back to the original question about "getting used to" heavier string gauges, you should remember this: every guitar feels different, and changing your action, string gauge, scale length, tuning, etc... will have some effect on the way the guitar plays. I regularly play guitars of nearly all brands, with many different actions, string gauges, tunings, scale lengths, you name it. I even own a guitar with a .21 plain for the B string and I can bend it just fine. Granted a well setup guitar is much easier to play than a beater with the strings a quarter inch from the fretboard, but in the end, if it has strings, I can play it. If all you ever play is one guitar in one tuning with the same setup day in and day out, that will be the only guitar you are comfortable with. As a working musician there are times where you will need to be able to play guitars other than the one you are comfortable with. I suggest spending as much time playing DIFFERENT guitars as you can. That's how I build USEABLE finger strength.

Comment

Working...
                      X