Need help with a possible microphonic pup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a possible microphonic pup

I just replaced my bridge pup (EMG 81) with an EMG 85 in my Jackson SL2H. The guitar has recently been shielded and rewired by Gary Brawers place out here in San Fran (18V btw). All I did was switch the pup and used the existing wiring. I've been getting a high pitch whistle/feedback that I thought might be due to the 85 being higher output than the 81, or preamp tubes, or eq settings. So I spent hours testing it with different preamp tubes, same thing each time. Then I tried tapping on the pickup itself, and sure enough I would get the high pitch whistle/feedback each time I tapped it. I then pulled out another Jackson I have, which has an EMG 81 (wired to 9v) in it still and had zero feedback, hardly any noise when I tapped on this pup. Is it possible a brand new EMG is microphonic like this? Or could it be due to the 18v wiring? One thing I noticed that is different between the 2 guitars is the Jackson which still has the 81, the pup has plenty of room in the cavity, but on my SL2H, the pup cavity is pretty small and one side of the pup is touching the wall of the cavity when it is level with the strings. Anyways, any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.
    www.SeveredSavior.com

Re: Need help with a possible microphonic pup

Actually the 81 is higher output than the 85.

IIRC EMGs have a really low "natural" output, hence the internal preamps, and have never heard of one being microphonic. I didn't even know they COULD go microphonic.
    But it seems you have one. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Try dropping it down to 9v and see if it still does it.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

is it a quick clip? can you put the other pup back in to see if it does the same thing?
      MOSH ON
      DAVE
      "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Very odd. Never heard of a microphonic EMG before.

If it's a quick connect, did you put the wire on the correct way?

If nothing else helps, contact EMG.
        I bet they'd replace the pickup for you.

Comment

EMG pickups cannot go microphonic. SOunds like a bad preamp tube.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. My first thought was that it was a bad preamp tube, or phase inverter in my power amp. I switched out every single preamp tube and power amp tube with several different types of new tubes. In perticular I tried 6-7 different tubes in the V1 and V2 of my preamp alone. (Engl e570, VHT 2/90/2).
            The pickup is connected to the detachable plug in the correct direction. This did not happen in my Kelly which has an EMG 81, and it did not happen in my SL2H when I had an 81 in it. It only started once I put in the 85. The feedback/whistle/squeel happens when I tap on the pickup and or stop playing. Like I mentioned before, the pup cavity is a pretty tight fit, and one side of the pup touches one wall of the pup cavity. If EMG's cannot go microphonic, I have no idea why else this would be happening. Since the 81 I had in it previously also touched the wall of the pup cavity, and this problem did not occur.
            www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

Do send an email to EMG and hear what they have to say.
              A normal 85 does not do that.

Comment

I would like to know what EMG's response it. Their pickups are completely sealed.

Comment

Swap them back and see if it keeps happening.

Comment

Ok so...
                    I spent quite awhile taking the guitar completely apart and pinpointing the exact cause of the noise. It was the metal pickup rings. Both of them, on the straight edge facing the rear of the guitar, would ring out. This would happen every time I tapped the pickup, and would stop if I put a finger on that edge. The only way I could completely get rid of this loud ring, which caused horrible feedback, was to create a "gasket" from electrical tape around the pickup cavity, and use several layers towards the center of the 2 long sides so the ring did not vibrate at all. It was a pain in the ass. But at least I solved the problem. Now I just need to either switch the rings with plastic ones, or try some metal ones possibly made from a different metal than the stock Jackson ones. Anyways, thanks for the replies fella's.
                    www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

Wow...that was an oddball problem. [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
                      Never heard of that happening either.

Good thing you found it out! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X