Fret Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret Help

I have a guitar neck that shows some fret wear on frets 1 thru 5. They are pitted but not badly. The rest of the neck looks really good. Question: What's the best way to fix this? I've heard of fret dressing and fret crowning. What is this and are they different? Also, how much $ should I expect to spend? Any advice or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Fret Help

A full fret dress and re-crown will run you in the neighborhood of about $150-$250. Depends on the shop.
    A simple fret dress may be all you will need. Typicaly go for around $75 to $100... again, depends on the shop.
    -Rick

Comment

Question: You say the frets show wear. Does it impact the playability of the instrument? If not, there's really no reason you should cash out $150 for recrowning (unless you MUST have perfect frets). If the guitar does the job, all's good right?

Comment

It doesn't really affect the playability but it bothers me. It's probably in my head? What is recrowning and how do they actually do this?

Comment

my frets look like shit!
          I'm too lazy to let it fix. And spend rather money in PUs I still have to try. As long as nothing is buzzing I'm fine. I can also live with a bit higher action.

Comment

in a nutshell, the process goes like this:

- get the neck perfectly straight (truss rod adjustment)
            - take a mill file and go over the tops of the frets until they're all level
            - round the flat spots that the levelling created
            - sand smooth, buff, polish

i can't imagine people charging more than $75 for that, but hey, that's me.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

i can't imagine people charging more than $75 for that, but hey, that's me.

[/ QUOTE ]
              +1 But unfortunately there are some pretty greedy Mo Fo's out there.
              Until I learn how to do it with confidnece, I'll just pay what I have to.
              -Rick

Comment

http://www.precisionguitar.net/

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  http://www.precisionguitar.net/

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck, have you used this place before? There isn't anyone in my area that does quality work.I'll probally have to send any future repairs out to get fixed.

Comment

Thad has been my main man for many years. From gluing shit back together to refrets...you name it. He rules.

Where are you? (I'd know this if there was some information in your profile...)

Comment

I'm in West Virginia

Comment

Yeah metaljunkie ya schmuck...fill out your profile you bastage you. I hope you bookmarked the link Chuck just gave you.

Comment

Play nice if you want your Charvel back!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh ok...please sir, fill out your profile, or I'll send the profile police (i.e. for the Jack impaired...Chuckracer) out immediately.

Comment

Thanks for the info!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X