Floyd Nut Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Nut Q's

I picked up an OFR with an R3 nut. It's fairly tall. I had an old Schaller R2 nut (I bought new) and it's a lower nut. Both say "Made in Germany", but the Schaller says 1.12 also.

How do you know if you are getting a high or low nut from these dealers / ebay?

Do the R2 and R3 have the same string spacing (I think so)? The R3 body is just wider right?

My R3 was a top mount but has threads for a rear mount. Do all Floyd nuts have this feature?

I guess I'm in need of a low, R3 or R4, rear mount, in black.

Re: Floyd Nut Q\'s

Here's the best I can do for Floyd Rose nut info http://www.floydrose.com/nutsizes.html Hope it can help.

Comment

Thanks. It says narrow string spacing on the R3, but does narrow on an R3 = R2 string spacing?

And it doesn't talk about nut height. I guess OFR nuts are tall which means you need a tall fretboard or you strings will be way high over the frets. What surprised me is that the Schaller nut is low in height, and matches my ESP nut route better than the OFR nut.

There are so many nuts on ebay, and the descriptions are so bad, that I don't know if I could ever find the right one.

Comment

I tried buying a nut off Ebay and mine was too short. I've never seen a difference between a Schaller or OFR nut, I always thought they were the same thing.

The R2 is for a 1 5/8" width. The R3 and R4 are for 1 11/16" nut width. An R2 will be too narrow for a 1 11/16" nut and vice/versa.

Comment

Was your ebay nut Made in Germany?

The R2 is slightly too narrow, but it works because its low. The R3, being high, can't work at all (unless I router the neck deeper). Strings are miles off the frets. Width wise, it works great.

I'm wondering is an R2 and R3 have the same spacing, but the R3 it just wider for cosmetics / binding...

Comment

My ebay nut was not made in Germany, it was generic. Not bad quality. I imaging it would work perfect on an import Jackson neck or similar.

That is weird about the difference in height [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I don't get the height difference at all either. I bought this Schaller a long time ago from stew-mac (1990?). It had a 42mm block (too tall - I needed a 32mm), rear mount nut (I don't think they had top mounts when I bought it). If all OFR nut's at that time were tall, why was this one short? If worse comes to worse, it's usable, but I like as much space between the strings as possible. More real estate for my sloppy fingers LOL!.

Comment

I've heard around here that the Schaller nuts aren't as tall as the OFR nuts. I can't confirm that personally however. I have one guitar (Model 6) that had an OFR added to it (replaced the JT6), but the nut is very shallow and could have come from elsewhere (I think it has R2 dimensions width-wise).

Comment

I emailed tech support at Floyd Rose about this. Their response: slightly different - R2 is 1 5/8" std spacing, R3 is 1 11/16" Std spacing, R4 is 1 11/16" wide spacing. R3 spacing is slightly wider than R2 in order to compensate for the additional width. So R2 != R3, but sounds like it is damn close. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for the research Freehill!

Sunbane,

I can 100% confirm it. I know for sure the low one came with my Schaller, and the tall one from a JCF member who took it off a guitar, and I bought the OFR as well.

Comment

So is your problem the height, Don? If so, just do what I did when I put the OFR Pro on my import Dinky - use a 42 or 43mm nut. If you need a 42mm nut, I've got a new one you can have free of charge. Didn't cost me anything cuz the online store I ordered from sent me it by mistake instead of the 43mm I ordered. They sent me the right one and told me just to keep the 42.
                      My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Thanks, but I have the correct height 42mm already. I need a short 43mm R3 or R4 (or both - I don't know if I want the narrow or wide spacing so I want to try both). It sounds like you know of a store that sells what I need, however. Can you tell me which store it is?

Using Allen wrenches to measure, the Schaller short nut is 9mm at the heighest point, and the OFR tall nut is 10mm tall.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          It sounds like you know of a store that sells what I need, however. Can you tell me which store it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was guitarpartsdepot.com.
                          My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Working...
                          X