High "E" string problem, help me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High "E" string problem, help me

My high "E" string sounds really twangy or kinda like a sitar when I play it open, and I can't figure out how to fix it. Strings are new and it's not buzzing on any frets.
    I heard it could be because the bridge saddle is seated to low, but I'm not sure. Any help would be aprreciated.

Re: High \"E\" string problem, help me

Does the guitar have a locking nut? In that case the problem may lie in the nut slot.

Comment

sounds like the nut is too low.

Comment

That happened to me once when the string wasn't passing over in the right place on the bridge saddle, but I'm guessing you would've noticed that since you mentioned it might be seated low..

Comment

Try unlocking the string and running the fine tuner down a ways, then re-tuning and locking it down. See if it's any cleaner.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Try unlocking the string and running the fine tuner down a ways, then re-tuning and locking it down. See if it's any cleaner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried that and it didn't work. I've got some of those little metal shims for Floyd bridge saddles, so I'll try that first and if that doesn't work it's got to be the nut. Could it be that the nut isn't sitting level with the fretboard? I think it may be tilted slightly toward the fretboard, so the string isn't sitting at the very front edge of the nut. Hell, maybe I'll just get a new one and try it. If it doesn't work I'll just send it back. Process of elimination.

Comment

Working...
            X