Floyd sustain block size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd sustain block size?

I have an OFR with a short sustain block for a recessed guitar. I believe it's a 32mm block.

Do I need a 42mm or a 37mm block for a non-recessed strat? I think it's 42mm, but then what's a 37mm block for? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Floyd sustain block size?

I believe you need a 32. The 37 may work, too. 37s are normally, I think, for semi-recessed trems or guitars like the Wolfgang that have the trem resting on the body. 42 would be for normal non-recessed guitars with tilted back necks, but not a Fender Strat since the Strat has a straight neck with no tilt.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thank for the info [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Actually, I have a 32mm but need a 42mm. Thanks a bunch

Comment

No problem. 42 you would need for the typical non-recess as I stated. I think I kind of confused myself when reading your post when I posted you'd need 32. When you said "Strat" I was assuming a Fender. I guess it's not a Fender Strat you're speaking of? As far as I know, all Fenders would need the 32, but I'm not sure if there are any recessed Fenders out there with Floyds... or maybe I'm mistaken and there are some recessed? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I guess even if it were recessed, you'd probably still need the 32 for the typical Fender. I think I just confused myself even more! LOL
        But typically with Floyded guitars, 32 for recessed, 42 for non-recessed, 37 for semi-recessed.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I put a 37mm into an RR1 that had a 32mm. The 32mm trem had issues, and I was too lazy to swap the blocks. It looks like it will fit, but I haven't put the backplate on so I'm not 100% sure. I know I'll have issues if I lower the action. If you feel up for it, we could swap blocks. Let me know because otherwise I'm ordering this and more from www.guitarpartsdepot.com Also, they have a 42mm if you want that instead. pm me if you feel like trading - no big deal if you don't.

Comment

Thread resurrection instead of starting another thread. I'm replacing the JT-6 on my Model 2 with an original Floyd and it has a 37mm sustain block. From what I've gathered on my searches it will work, I just want to make sure that I understand correctly. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Give it a shot. A few guys here have have 37mm blocks on floating non-recessed trems. I'd go with 42, but it's only a 5mm difference. Try it through a few divebombs & full pullups. If the springs don't pop out, you're good to go. If they do, no biggie to get a replacement block.

Comment

Working...
              X