I got an idea (Floyd Rose related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got an idea (Floyd Rose related)

I'm looking for a Schaller made JT-590, since I can't fit an OFR into the trem recess...

However, this morning I got an idea. The base plate on the JT-590 is the same size as the one on a OFR. Wouldn't it be possible to just replace the OFR string lock screws with the shorter ones from a Schaller trem?

That way I'd get the best of both worlds!? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

This seems to me like it would be possible, can anyone confirm this?

/Anders
    https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Re: I got an idea (Floyd Rose related)

Aren´t those screws on a Schaller thicker than on an OFR, and therefore wouldn´t fit? I think I remember hearing something about there being shorter replacements especially for the OFR.

Comment

The baseplate is different as well, the Schaller has the knife edges significantly farter forward, about 1/16"...

You can try it, but the Schaller screws likely won´t clear the slots in the OFR plate, and due to the mounting distance issue you run the risk of having Intonation problems [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

That sucks [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

And here I thought I had come up with the perfect idea, hehe...

I guess I'll just have to keep looking for a JT-590... or just give in and buy a new Schaller trem (I wanted to save some money, and not have to do that.)
        https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Buy one of those $50 jobbies off Ebay...and then let me know if they're complete shit or not, because I need one too. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Put a router to the guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Put a router to the guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah really. What are we talking here, only a minor fix right?
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                farter forward

[/ QUOTE ]
                Farter! [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Buy one of those $50 jobbies off Ebay...and then let me know if they're complete shit or not, because I need one too. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                  +1 I see Justin is selling schaller copies, kinda curious myself if they are any good
                  I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

They're not bad, but they do need to be broken in. I've found that the parts on them are sometimes stiff.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

"the knife edges significantly farter forward, about 1/16"..."
                      you said farter [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]...heh heh, heh, heh. [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
                      I hate those unfixable typos sometimes. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        They're not bad, but they do need to be broken in. I've found that the parts on them are sometimes stiff.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are not bad trems, a JCF brother gave me one to put on a friends guitar. It works great, feels like a Schaller. They might not last under extreme use. If you're touring the country and playing night after night you're probably not looking at these anyway.

I say go for it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I wanted to route a SL pro, but the router dude said that the paint might be damaged(if not now then later) because of the metallic finsh. So I think I'll pop the OFR it into a trans white Charvel Fusion+. Or I cut the unnessesary long screws.

Comment

I think I'll give one a try on a Charvel fusion body I should be getting soon. it should be drilled and routed for a Schaller, Is this a basic pop in deal, stud holes the same, etc
                            I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              "the knife edges significantly farter forward, about 1/16"..."
                              you said farter [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]...heh heh, heh, heh. [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
                              I hate those unfixable typos sometimes. [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Tom, you are sooo immature! I beat you to it a few posts above! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X