Drop in 5-way switch replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop in 5-way switch replacement

Is that possible? While I am changing my KV-1 to APC pickups I want to have a 5-way wiring. Can I just drop in any 5-way switch or do I have to look for a special one to replace the 3 way I have on the guitar now? I never used to 5-way switch before(although coming from BC Rich camp I am not a stranger to fancy electronics and wiring [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) so excuse me if this question is silly.

Re: Drop in 5-way switch replacement

Youre replacing a 3-way blade switch with a 5-way blade? There should be no problem. You can just wire it up according to the apc schematic or use a generic one from seymour duncan or dimarzio. Shouldnt be a problem.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Youre replacing a 3-way blade switch with a 5-way blade?

[/ QUOTE ]
      Yeah. Thanks! I can handle the wiring(I think!), I am going over diagrams on guitarelectronics.net. Shouldn't be a problem! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

The only thing you might want to watch out for is the screw size. Strat-style 5-ways have fairly large screws and some Jackson blade switches use really tiny ones. If you're not careful in the selection of the 5-way you may wind up having to drill bigger screw holes and live with large screw heads on the face of the guitar.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Add on to that that USA made and cheapo Import switches also have slightly different hole spacings sometimes... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I had to get an Ibanez switch for a non-pickguard guitar once. The ibby switch had a longer shaft, to make the knob go clear of the face of the guitar.

Comment

Like Sunbane said, most of the normal 5-way's do not have a long enough lever. That is the problem that I currently have. The switch tip keeps being pushed off the lever when it hits the mounting screws.

Comment

Working...
              X