Removing chassis corrosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing chassis corrosion

Alright, I need a nice tip or two on the least invasive way of removing light chassis corrosion. I basically just want to clean up the surfaces of the chassis, maybe take some dirt off the transformers without causing more harm or rust. Ideas?

Re: Removing chassis corrosion

never mind, I used a light coat on a q-tip and a paper towel of the girlfriends jewelry polish. Wiped it off and then used a light wipe with tuner cleaner..the oil will keep it from rusting.

Comment

Be careful with trannies. Rust kills them. I need to clean up some light surface rust on my 1979 Marshall trannies.

Comment

'They' say to leave the trannies alone usually. I just wanted to clean the bell housings as they were very dirty and some oxidation had dulled the chassis, tube covers, bell housings..etc. This was on a '78 Marshall, everything came out really very well in the end tho. All the date codes and the tranny codes are intact. The paper labels too are all there and she doesn't look bad at all for a 27 year old amp. It definitely had looked as tho she may had been in someones basement or garage for many years. I left the cores alone save for a light wipe of tuner cleaner on the tops. The amount of corrosion was very light actually and it cleaned up well. I'm sure if I took the whole thing apart and buffed it, the chassis would look almost new but as it is, it looks fine. Alot less dirty.

The next thing I was worried about was using Goo Gone on the face plates to remove the duct tape residue w/o taking off print. As long as you work carefully in small areas at a time and take as long as you need w/o being in a hurry and over forceful...that stuff does very well. You know how those ohmage selectors like to get taped in place to keep them from getting lost.

I remember one time on one amp I got rather impulsive with years ago I used fine steel wool on a chassis [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]..yeah, that wasn't real a bright idea. Big mistake while the trannies and electronics were still fixed to it. Fine metal filings, magnetism, and electronic circuits usually don't do well together. [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
        X