APC Persuader combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APC Persuader combo

I can't try they here ofcourse since I live in the Netherlands but I would love to give 'em a chance and throw them in my Dinky.

There are the Persuader, Persuader Lead and the Persuader Lead Custom. I want a nice combination but I can't judge how they compare to eachother.

Who can tell me what would work best for a modest hum-hum setup?

Persuader (B) - Persuader (N)
    Persuader Lead (B) - Persuader (N) Etcetera, etcetera...

As soon as I have made up my mind I can give Mel a call! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: APC Persuader combo

i would try the persuader lead in the bridge and the felony x in the neck.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Listen to John, his sound is killer x 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Do those two work together that good? I haven't thought about another PU than the Persuader series because I play mainly thrash and death metal with that guitar. So the Persuader Lead in the bridge sounds fine he he. Why would I want a Felony X over a Persuader in the neck D_R?

EDIT:
        I read the description of the PU's and my thought is that the Felony X sounds good when I switch to clean parts? I feel good about the Persuader Lead in the bridge but I'm not quite sure about the neck.

Comment

I use APC PL Custom on the bridge and Felony X on the neck, I like it a lot but then I didn't try Persuader Lead(yet!). I don't play cleans(ever) so I can't give advice on that part, but for rhythms PLC has the tightest and clearest low-end that I have ever come across, very full low-mids and mids and nice harmonics. Both pickups are great for leads also. If I can compare PLC to any other pickup I would say it is like a more dynamic, passive EMG 85(and you don't need batteries either!).

Comment

Thanks for your opinion on the Persuader Lead Custom. I read that the Persuader Lead Custom has a little more bottom end compared to the Persuader Lead. I don't think that I have a preference for either but I'll go with the Persuader Lead to be safe. I think the Felony X is good for the neck position because I rather have some versatility instead of putting another Persuader series PU in.

I know that there are plenty more people with this PU's on this forum so I would be glad to recieve a couple of words from anyone that can help out.

Comment

Okay, okay...
              I see there's nothing to say about this anymore but let me put this another way.

What would be better to go with the Felony X?
              - Persuader Lead
              - Persuader Lead Custom

I hope I'm not boring y'all to death with my dillema! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a persuader lead, in my opinion is is a little too bassy for death metal. If you are tuning to E or D, great. Cool pickup. If you are tuning to C or B or anything else, I wouldn't recommend it. Of course, this is bias, as I play through a dual recto and the pup was in a mahogany guitar.

All I can say is when tuned to B I much prefer the sound of an EMG 81 to the Persuader lead, but if you are tuning standard or down a step, the Persuader is the way to go. To my ears, it sounds kind of like a super high output Seymour Duncan EVH.

Comment

That hasn't come to speak yet. My guitar is made of alder and I tune to B, which is pretty low I guess. Does any of the other pickups respond well to downtuning? Who uses APC in a downtuned (I mean as in C, B, Bb) guitar? Damn, it's hard to buy anything I have never heard.

Comment

I mean the crunch is great for slow heavy chugga chugga, but IMO for fast riffage, the APC gave the Mesa an even flabbier looser bottom end.

Comment

Wait a minute... I'm getting confused here. I don't want active pickups but I do want everything that everyone claims about APC. Now let's make clear that I now have EMG-HZ in my guitar, which sound also fine in E or Es but in B... God, there is no definition at all on the B string just rumble. The Felony X seems nice for the neck, even if it's not perfectly matching a downtuned guitar. But the bridge is the most important to me. If it's not going to be an APC, what passive pickup is? Okay, IF I'm buying APC anyway: which is going to like B-tuning the most? Lead or Lead Custom?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Wait a minute... I'm getting confused here. I don't want active pickups but I do want everything that everyone claims about APC. Now let's make clear that I now have EMG-HZ in my guitar, which sound also fine in E or Es but in B... God, there is no definition at all on the B string just rumble. The Felony X seems nice for the neck, even if it's not perfectly matching a downtuned guitar. But the bridge is the most important to me. If it's not going to be an APC, what passive pickup is? Okay, IF I'm buying APC anyway: which is going to like B-tuning the most? Lead or Lead Custom?

[/ QUOTE ]
                        I believe Lead. Again I didn't try and I have Lead Custom, but I only tune to Eb and sometimes D. I believe the overly emphasized low-end(I LOVE the low-end in my sound, so it works perfectly for me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) might, again might because I never tune that low I wouldn't know, give you headaches in B.

Comment

So the Lead will be less bassy than the Lead Custom. While Paddok say that the Lead is already bassy, it still seems to be the best choice then. I'll wait to see what Melvin himself thinks of this. Ofcourse, a B-tuned guitar will never sound as tight as an E-tuned guitar (with the same scale neck) and I won't go for EMG.

Comment

UPDATE
                            The opposite seems to be true. Melvin suggests that the Lead Custom is the clearest of the two and the best match for the Felony X so that's what I'm going to order. Thanks for all your help people! And D_R for suggesting the Felony X!

Ize

Comment

Here we are. Almost a month later and it seems that I have finally got to ordering the PLC and FX from Melvin. It's a bit expensive to get them from the US to Europe so I really hope this is going to be worth all the wait, costs and effort. An EMG Zakk Wylde set is much cheaper here to buy you see...

Comment

Working...
                              X