foam string mute - & some really pointless dribble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foam string mute - & some really pointless dribble

Ok - just some stuff to think about, since i'm a little bored right now.

I've seen COW using foam behind the nut, and recently, the Steve of Nevermore - in order to controll unwanted feedback.

Question is, wouldn't this kill sustain? After all, it is killing string vibration that so valued by those claiming that string-thrus have more sustain & liveliness.

I honestly don't care - i dont need my notes to ring out more than a second; but i'm just curious. Besides, after playing the KBRhoads again, I've decided that the fixed bridge with a schaller fine-tuning tailpiece is the coolest thing ever anyway, so it wouldn't even be an issue for me.

my stab is that it's a necessary compromise since there aren't any 7string tailpieces, which would offer shorter string lengths beyond the bridge.

second question is somewhat related - if there is feedback and noise when those strings outside the nut and headstock are unmuted, and it's eliminated when they're muted, then it's testimonial that string-thrus add to a guitar's sonic punch. Maybe more to the outside strings being longer, rather than them being directly connected to the body.

anyway, would this add to the impurity of a note, since the outside strings are of fixed pitch, which may clash with the fretted note? I've always wondered what a guitar would sound like with pups mounted beyond the bridge and nut [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I totally understand that the note will be inaudible to our ears, so you don't have to say 'who cares?'
    www.WarCurse.com

Re: foam string mute - & some really pointless dribble

dime did that as well, i don't know if it dampens the strings completely, but it does get rid of the echo-ey like overtones that you can get sometimes.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Re: foam string mute - & some really pointless dri

It doesn't have as much to do with clashing notes, as unwanted noise during really tight riff playing. Let's say you wanted to play some really heavy, chugging riffs and then mute the strings for complete silence. You'd also hate it if the unmuted strings behind the nut kept chiming. This happens on some guitars, and it adds muddiness to the sound.

Comment

Micheal Angelo has foam devices that can flip over onto the strings to controll feedback, they don't cut into his tone at all, maybe look those up.

Comment

Re: foam string mute - & some really pointless dribble

[ QUOTE ]
          dime did that as well, i don't know if it dampens the strings completely, but it does get rid of the echo-ey like overtones that you can get sometimes.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]
          Yep, Dime did it on his guitars with Floyd nuts. I do it on my Carvin with reverse headstock, standard nut... it gets rid of the annoying ringing/overtones that can happen. I think it's even more apparent because of the longer length of the low E string on a reverse headstock, and the overtones seem even more apparent when tuning down lower. The strings stop at the nut, so you won't be losing any sustain by putting foam behind it.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            It doesn't have as much to do with clashing notes, as unwanted noise during really tight riff playing. Let's say you wanted to play some really heavy, chugging riffs and then mute the strings for complete silence. You'd also hate it if the unmuted strings behind the nut kept chiming. This happens on some guitars, and it adds muddiness to the sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh - that helps. Gracias [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
            www.WarCurse.com

Comment

i know a guy that uses a hair tie. (the soft girly kind) behind his nut. he will also pull it up between the 1st and 3rd fret to silence the guitar for crazy tapping parts.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

c*ck ring, nut ring, what's the diff?
                www.WarCurse.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Question is, wouldn't this kill sustain? After all, it is killing string vibration that so valued by those claiming that string-thrus have more sustain & liveliness

[/ QUOTE ]

i use that trick on my floyded rhoads - imho it doesn't kill the sustain (at least on a floyd rose bridge) - everything stays clean when i want to play some stop/start pantera/fear factory riff.

and btw - COW got that trick from Cazares - who made that thing popular [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X