Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just made a cool lemon oil "discovery"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just made a cool lemon oil "discovery"...

I was just re-stringing my soloist and instead of using the lemon oil I've used so far (D'Andrea), I went for the Dunlop 65 which I had lying around but hadn't gotten around to trying yet (call me lazy, heh heh)
    I gotta tell ya, the Dunlop oil beats the andrea on every count....it was MUCH easier to get the grime off, just gentle rubbing with the cloth was all it took...no grinding toothbrush or anything [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] also it seemed to slightly vaporize so there wasn't nearly as much residue as the andrea oil...I guess it might be a little thinner or something. anyway, put simple:

it works great. I recommend you try it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- Rune.

Re: just made a cool lemon oil \"discovery\"...

Wow, that stuff will clean the gunk off a fretboard without much trouble? I need some of that. Any idea where I can get that stuff aside from online?

Comment

Does that oil have coloring added to it. I need to get some lemon oil for my wolfgang, and Peavey recommends using noncolored oil to keep from discoloring the maple
      I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Sounds like it has a lot of petroleum in it to me.
        I'd avoid, personally.

Comment

are you talking about the dunlop lemon oil or the dunlop 65 polish? not sure if it's all under the 65 series number or not. dunlop has a decent fretboard maintenance system. it's a 2 part thing. the first step is a cleaner (it doesn't look like anything more than rubbing alcohol to me), and then the conditioner. no idea what's in that. i don't use it too much, but if i need to do something really quickly and i don't feel like using linseed oil, i'll use that.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yup, Im with jsully... clean with alcohol first, then soak with regular lemon oil. Its funny, my two oldest guitars, you can tell I always conditioned them... the nice and dark, not dry looking. The 3 new ones STILL look dry becuse apparently people dont know how to properly take care of their instruments. Two of the 3 recent guitars I got have been the dirtiest things Ive EVER seen... I just dont know how you can let your instrument go like that and not see anything wrong with it. The grime and builup on the neck and bridge were disgusting. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I've got the Dunlop 65 kit... the cleaner/prep stuff definitely seems just like rubbing alcohol, and the conditioner is pretty good, but I still prefer Weiman's lemon oil. BTW, Dunlop recommends NOT to use the conditioner or the cleaner on maple boards. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

it says only "dunlop 65 fretboard - ultimate lemon oil" and it is yellow colored. (the andrea oil is more "gold")

FusionFarmer: it says "not for use on maple fretboards" on the sticker...sorry.
                As far as what's in it, I don't know. I oil my fretboard frequently so there wasn't a heavy buildup of grime, only enough that you can see the fingermarks when you "aim" down the neck.
                The one I have is the "Fingerboard" bottle on the Dunlop page:
                http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/ma...nce/index.html

I'll give Weiman a shot if I can find it around these parts.

Comment

Ah, ya know, I didn't even know they made an "ultimate lemon oil". I just use the regular System 65 kit with the conditioner, fingerboard cleaner/prep, polish/cleaner, string cleaner/conditioner and body gloss carnauba wax. The conditioner seems pretty similar to the lemon oil anyway, but not sure exactly what it is now.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If you REALLY want the grime off, try lemon extract instead from a grocer.

Don't use it too much on raw wood though.

Comment

yeah Joe, that 2-part kit looks good also [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I just dont know how you can let your instrument go like that and not see anything wrong with it. The grime and builup on the neck and bridge were disgusting. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                        I got bored enough once that I borrowed my cousins guitar to clean it for him. There was so much gunk on the board, the frets were dull, intonation was aweful, there was a huge dust buildup under the pickguard, even a pick he thought he'd lost years earlier. Steel wool, lemon oil, a few rags, and about ten hours of dissasembly/scrubbing/reasembly made it look so much nicer.

I recently bought it, and here it is a year and a half later looking almost as perfect as it did when I last cleaned it. Must not have been cleaned in like ten years.

Comment

the stunning thing is how much more playable axes are when cleaned properly...so much faster fretboards...even lacquered maple!

Comment

after consulting with sully, i have found for raw maple necks:

cleaning with zippo lighter fluid (or straight naptha) and then conditioning with natural danish oil works great!

the naptha cleans off the grime and most of the oil very well with no degridation to the raw wood. and dries extremely fast.

after that i apply the danish oil let sit, apply again, let sit, and then buff.

these products can be baught in quantity from the hardware store for much much cheaper than instruament branded cleaners and conditioner.

as far as body cleaning: windex and turtle wax! since windex stripes some of the wax from the body as well as cleaning the grime off very well, the turtle wax puts it back and provides even more protection.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Thanks for the tip!!! I like grime and residue so now I know what to avoid.
                              There's just something about a dirty nasty fretboard.

Comment

Working...
                              X