Model 6 mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 mod?

I just put a Floyd (licensed, not original... I know, I know, don't yell at me...) on my model 6. Had to modify the block. Trouble is the B string sits lower than the other 5. (By lower I mean closer to the fretboard...) Don't see how this is possible. Don't see any way to adjust this... Any suggestions???? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Hardware: all black, all the time.

Re: Model 6 mod?

Sounds like one of the saddles is either worn or was replaced with the wrong size.
    Could also be a worn nut.
    Where is it lower? Toward the bridge or toward the nut?
    If it's toward the bridge, you may have to go hunt for another saddle.
    Don't know of anyway to raise or lower them individualy.
    -Rick

Comment

Check the bottom of the saddle to make sure its the right one for that position. They are numbered 0-2 zero being the center one and 2 being the outside (the 1st and 6th strings) Some boady may have taken it apart to clean it and put them back on in the wrong order. You can aslo shim the individual saddle to raise it up.
      Gil

Comment

It is lower towards the bridge, and it is what I believe to be a 'new' bridge, so I don't think it is worn...

Thought about shimming...
        Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

If you look under the saddles, they should be 2-1-0-0-1-2

Take the "low saddle" out and see if this B string saddle has a 1 under it. If it has a 2, it's technically the wrong saddle (it's for the low and high E). The guy who had it before you might have had a really flat radius neck and wanted low action on his B string. It's not "wrong" to use different saddles - they are made so that you can adjust the action to your liking.

Comment

Just get the size you need. And like DonP said, there is no "wrong" saddle really. Just one that is wrong for your application.
            I'm personaly not to keen on shimming saddles though.
            Shims have a way of working themselves out, especialy on a part that is prone to a lot of tension changes and flexing.
            And it will most likely work its way out at a really bad time... like when your playing out somewhere and you're right in the middle of a set.
            -Rick

Comment

Shimming is fine. If you want to be cheap about it, do what I have done in the past--get a small piece of aluminum foil and fold it into the appropriate shape/size. I've never had one come out.

Comment

Working...
              X