Thinking about making a Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about making a Change

I'm thinking of changing the pickups in my Les Paul Classic. I have EMGs in there now and I'm just thinking of trying something different. Chalk it up to watching to many Kiss bootlegs or whatever, but I'm thinking of putting in a DiMarzio Super Distortion. From my understanding that's what Ace used to use in his LP back in the day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What kind of sound should I expect from that? I have several pickups sitting around already, what would go good with it? JB, TZ, Alnico Pro IIn, PAFPro, the original LP Classic pickups 500T and ???.

Thanks,

Jason

Re: Thinking about making a Change

WHATEVER you do, take those damn EMG's out of there!! The Super Distortion would be a good bet, as would the 500T. But honestly, if you really do have those pickups just sitting around, why not try them all out yourself and see what you personally like?

Comment

Definitely! The 500T you may like...hot and bright. Personally I would install the Alnico ProII's and really hear the wood of the guitar, and not just a screming pickup overpowering the guitar's natural tone.

Comment

ace still uses super distortions, but they've been too brittle to my ears. by all means, say no to EMG. you'll be surprised to hear the different voicings your guitar will have with each swap.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

EMG's are great if you need to do session work for Immortal, but a fine piece of lumber like that deserves to be heard.

Comment

I have the 496R/500T in my Classic with coil taps, but it's been a love-hate relationship. I've swapped in 57', 1983 Gibson's, BB2&3, but I keep going back to the zebra 496R/500T. I think I've given up on swapping.

I do have two other LP's and I think my favorite is the historic with BB1&2.

I have a pair of SuperD's in black, but I haven't wired them up yet or tried them out. Some day...

Comment

Ooh, I love the Histooric Les Pauls, not many of those made!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Ooh, I love the Histooric Les Pauls, not many of those made!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatchu talkin bout willis? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

This LP has had a ton of PU changes. I took out the 500T because it was too hot and wanted something a little more vintage and swapped out a few different ones and really like the AlnIIpro neck pick up, but decided to try the EMGs and finally said the hell with all the changes and left them.

Is the Super Dist. brittle? The tone chart on DiMarzio's site show it's tone graph a lot like the TZ's.

Hell maybe I'll put the Alnico II in the neck and the TZ in the bridge and see how that goes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Who knows, I have started liking the JB in my GMW and the Screaming Demon in my other GMW, but those are worlds apart from a LP.

I'll try something maybe this weekend.

Thanks all,

Jason

Comment

I have an AlNiCo2 in the neck of my SG and it sounds like fuckin' thunder!!

Comment

Super Distortions are a good choice, but EMGs rule in Les Pauls... especially an 85 in the bridge with either an 81 or 60 in the neck! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ace, use to also use for awhile the original "dirty fingers" gibson pickups. Back in the hey days(1977/78) of the Hit Parader" magazine, you flip the pages and see Ace's endorsment of the dirty fingers.
                        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          This LP has had a ton of PU changes. I took out the 500T because it was too hot

[/ QUOTE ]

Same reason for my love-hate with these pickups, but you know, that's what volume and tone knobs are for. This pickup has so much output, it just needs to be kept down a little. Maybe open it up only for leads?

I've thought of swapping magnets in the 500T. It's got 3 ceramics, but the middle one could be swapped for an Alnico (II, III, IV, V flavor of the month...)

Comment

Certainly go either Gibson or Dimarzio for a Les Paul.
                            A nice contrasting powerful combination is the Evolution in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck.
                            I also REALLY like the 500/498 combination. They are great pickups. Alot of players also like to install PRS Dragon 2's or the HFS/Vintage Bass combo.

Comment

Seth Lovers.

Mike
                              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
                              X