Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

String-lock screw hits guitar face... wtf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String-lock screw hits guitar face... wtf?

Hi guys,

I finally fixed the intonation on my KV2's low E (had to wait til I was putting new strings on - only do that for gigs, hey I'm lazy! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] - supporting Jeff Scott Soto on Saturday night here in Belfast) and now the string-lock screw hits the face of the guitar rather than just heading into the recess... what are my options here?

Shorter screw? Live with slightly wrong intonation? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm using D'Addario 10-52 tuned down 1/2 step, by the way...

Cheers,
    Steve.

Re: String-lock screw hits guitar face... wtf?

I would personally just skip a little on the intonation, but that's because I'm lazy. :P

You could take it to a machine tech and ask him to shorten the screws.

Comment

Nothing a little chisel action wouldn't cure!

Comment

You'd be surprised how little "perfekt" intonation matters in a live setting with hard rock and metal.
        Put it back like it was, scoot the saddle as far forward as it'll go, and lock it.

You can fine-tune on the fly if you need to adjust for chords and solos. Floyds are great that way [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm cursed with the ability to tell if something is even a tiny bit out of tune, or out of time for that matter! Ho hum...

It's only hitting it by a fraction of a mm, so I'll probably just move it enough to get clearance and live with it for a while. Or I could just not pull back on the trem anymore - I only even do that at the end of songs during the "herd of wildebeest" bit at the end anyways, lol

Cheers,
          Steve.

Comment

Practice hitting a double-pinch-harmonic on the 7th fret: 3rd and 4th strings at the same time - instead of doing a pullup with a 2nd/3rd fret natural harmonic [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I personally would get a shorter screw, but I´m totally anal about tuning and intonation, drives me nuts sometimes [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm with Zerberus on this one. Get a shorter screw.
                I can't stand a guitar that won't tune properly.
                I know there is no such thing as a perfectly tuned guitar, but I like to get as close as possible.
                -Rick

Comment

Adjusted the intonation just ever-so-slightly so it clears the face of the guitar... it's a couple of cents out at the 24th, but fine at the 12th... I can live it, 'cause I'm never way up there on the low E anyways.

Played the gig with Soto last night... they were using my band's gear, so we loaded in at 4pm as the promoter requested and set the drumkit and amps up... they arrived at 6, messed about and had dinner then started soundchecking, and finished about 8... the doors were due to opn at 8:30 and we were supposed to be on at 8:45... so the other band ("Pride" from England - nice guys) did their soundcheck right up until the doors open, and at 8:45 we had to get up on stage and play without a soundcheck. Ho hum.

Their tour manager said thanks to us afterwards, but the band themselves didn't say a thing to us at all... they all seemed kinda pissed off or something. Last date of their European tour, maybe they were just tired and wanting to get home... Howie Simon can certainly shred, and he got a decent sound with a Pod plugged into my Laney VH100-R... not as good as my sound plugged straight in of course... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

We're supporting Fozzy in Dublin next month, so hopefully Chris will be on for a bit of a wrestle... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
                  Steve.

Comment

Working...
                  X