Tone pot and cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone pot and cap

I just finished wiring my green dinky project. Its got a nice quality volume pot (500k) but I had to use the old tiny 500k tone pot that came off the donor dk2. The cap was shot so I replaced it with a 50v .047 microfarrad from rat shack. Is 50v ok? I see 400v being listed on most of the ones sold specifically for guitars. That will never see 50v, right? So I want to change out the pot anyway because I hate that cheap crap. It doesnt roll off the tone very well. It sort of does nothing then all of the sudden it dumps some highs. Should I get a linear or audio type for this application?

Re: Tone pot and cap

Audio is fine. I've used 50v with no problems. .047 seems kind of much for humbuckers, try .022 or even .015.

Comment

Yeah, .022 is a good one. .047s are more for bass guitars and will make a guitar sound a little darker.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hmm, thats what I get for following some chart from the internet. I will try the.022. They had those in 400v. What type of pot does jackson use as stock, audio or linear?

Comment

Audio taper. Linear taper is for Hi fi stuff...if you use one it will turn almost to zero, then dump. Kinda like what you are describing.

Comment

Carvin does the opposite... they use linear for the volume control and audio for the tone control. Not sure why, though. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
            X