How can I remove rust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I remove rust?

How can I remove rust from a piece of hardware like my floyd rose system? Also how can I prevent rust?

Re: How can I remove rust?

If it is surface rust than you can clean it up with super fine 0000 steal wool and some auto wax or guitar polish. Just put a dab of the polish on the steel wool and rub away. Basically proceed like your waxing a car but, use the steal wool as the wax pad. If the rust has penetrated the finish than your probably screwed. Oh, by the way...ONLY do this on CHROME finished hardware as you can imagine what it would do to painted finishes.

Comment

Take the floyd out and put it in a bowl of Coca Cola.
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Mother's California Gold Mag & Aluminum polish (sold in pretty much every auto parts store) *really* cuts through rust. I ust a bit of that and Viva paper towels.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

A Floyd has so many small places that you will never be able to clean, the rust will just come back. Your better off trashing it and putting a new one on.
          "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
          I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

WD40 and a toothbrush.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              A Floyd has so many small places that you will never be able to clean, the rust will just come back. Your better off trashing it and putting a new one on.

[/ QUOTE ]Not true. Do the soaking. Oil it and work it manually. It will remove the rust. Then soak it again. Maybe use navel jelly. With a little work, it will work. These are not watches. If he wants to throw his away, throw it my way. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
              X