Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone controls... really needed

Hopefully as quick question:

When a tone pot is hooked up and is turned all the way on, does it have the same effect as if not being installed at all? I never use the tone control ever and I'd like to install my JE1000 in its place opposed to having to drill another hole.

thanks,

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Re: Tone controls... really needed

A lot of people say that removing the tone pot is like having the tone set at '11'. I haven't noticed much of a difference with my EMGs though.

Comment

I've heard the same thing. Just by having the thing in the circuit, even if it is "wide open", supposedly saps some of the high end. I'm not sure how true it is, but whenever I re-wire one of my guitars, I generally leave the tone pot disconnected.
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I feel the tone "opens up" some, when disconnecting the tone pot, maybee it´s all in my head, but i don´t use it anyway, so i prefer it disconnected either way.

Comment

Can't say I ever use mine either.

Comment

Me neither, nor do I know anyone who ever used it. :P
            I'm considering the option of re-wiring my rhoads to bypass the tone pot.

Comment

Definitly brighter with the tone bypassed, sometimes I'll wire 2 volume pots instead, you can dial in a little neck pup to darken the sound a little
              I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Interesting.

I used the tone control on my SL2 constantly... A Heck of a difference if you were playing the neck pup with tone on full or tone backed off fully!
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Yes, but we were talking about disconneted tone controll, or on "10".
                  Of course it´s a huge diffrence between 10 and 0. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

MOST tone controls are passive(as long as you don't consider EQ's "tone" pots). Having any extra parts in your circuit WILL affect tone. However, I DO use my tone pots, so I leave them wired...

Comment

I use them as well. I find a "Toneless" guitar to be overly bright and brittle. It's great for solos where you need to cut over a distorted mix, but not so great for textured pieces.

As well, a Tone knob on a single-hum can sometimes simulate a neck pickup for those more Bluesy leads, or older Dave Murray solo tones (NOTB, POM, Powerslave).
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The tone pot does create some resistance so there is a bit of a signal loss. Bypassing the tone pot completely wil enhance the overall tone and bring a bit more highs into the mix. It'll typically have a bit more clearity and attack.
                        Gil

Comment

Idem for me...

Actually for the story of the disconnected tone control, all the pot have a certain resistance, lika all the component, and therefore they act as a low-pass filter, but the effectiveness of disconnecting one control depends on the quality of the pot itself, if it's good its resistance is low, and therefore there wouldn't be much difference, while if it's cheap or bad it will cut more high, thus the operation will give an appreciable difference in tone...

For the use of the tone control, I also like to put it around 8 for the bridge pickup.
                          '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                          '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                          '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                          '92 Fender Strat scallop
                          '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                          '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            The tone pot does create some resistance so there is a bit of a signal loss. Bypassing the tone pot completely wil enhance the overall tone and bring a bit more highs into the mix. It'll typically have a bit more clearity and attack.
                            Gil

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude you were faster than me... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                            '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                            '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                            '92 Fender Strat scallop
                            '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                            '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Working...
                            X