Dr. Newcenstein's Further Adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Newcenstein's Further Adventures

Ok, this started off as a regular ol' DK-2 HRF, to which I added a 24 fret maple boarded neck from a Jackson JTX, an OFR from Carvin, and (at one time) a set of EMGs.
    NOW it's the Ultimate Hot Rodded Hot Rod with Hum-Single-Hum! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I did this all by my little loneseom with a Dremel and a dream [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Enjoy!

Pickups are Duncan Distortion, Duncan Designed SC101-N (neck pickup - didn't realize it was the neck pickup till I saw the "M" (middle) stamp on the other one - heh heh) and Duncan Custom SH-5.

As an interesting note, the 5-way that comes on these things (enclosed, w/circuit board on one side instead of in the middle like the old Fender-style open switches) has some nice wiring options that they never mentioned.
    You know how the tabs are all in a row, right? Well, this is how they go:
    (Assuming you are looking at the bottom of the switch with the circuit board to the right)
    |-Neck
    |-Middle
    |-Bridge
    |-Output
    |-Output
    |-Bridge
    |-Middle
    |-Neck

Now, you only need to wire 4 of the 8 prongs for operation, however, you can jump the coil tap wires of a pickup to one of the other 4 tabs to make those two come on for whichever switch position you select (i.e. split neck and middle in position 4) without having two wires on one prong (PITA!)
    So, the SH-5 in the neck is split and comes on with the middle pickup when set to position 4 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Dr. Newcenstein\'s Further Adventures

Great job, Dr. Newcenstein!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It's alive!!

nice work, Dr Newc (hey everybody! hello Dr Newc!)

Is that glare to the right of the single coil?
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Yeah that would be glare that goes down to the wood [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        No I had a little.....accident.... when I was dragging the Dremel through the neck cavity - seems 35,000 RPMs takes a bit more muscle to keep it under control [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyways, that's a slippy spot where the Dremel landed after it bucked. There's another just to the right of the neck pickup, but it only got the finish and maybe some paint, but no wood [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I did a "practice run" with that JSX-94 body I have, and it's got a nasty gash by the same freak accident (and the same freak) from the neck pickup to the middle pickup [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ah well, not bad for my second attempt if I do say so myself - and I DO [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

By the by, that shiny dot between the knobs is the mini-toggle I put in to split the EMG 89 that was in it - now it splits the SH-6.

Speaking of which, the Distortion pickup kicks AZZ in split (single) mode! Why Duncan doesn't make a Distortion single is beyond me. The closest they have is the Classic Stack, but this sounds way hotter and much heavier.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

"What hump?"
          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

EYE-GOR! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Love that movie! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

"roll, roll, roll in ze hay"

"Werewolf?"
            "There wolf"
            [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Dude!

That poor guitar has sustained some serious abuse from the Dr. !!! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Nice work overall though. Go NewC! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
              Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                Yeah that would be glare that goes down to the wood
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I didn't want to assume that you screwed up. Just giving you the benefit of doubt and guessing that the bright white spot was a reflection of something. Ah well, it adds character. Right? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Oh yeah it adds character - but it subtracts paint [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

THAT'S AWESOME MATT! yes i'm yelling [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
                    The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

You MONSTER! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yes you monster, how could you inflict damage to a DK-2. You should have worked on a Soloist 1st. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Looks pretty good Matt. To bad you didn't have a neck with Sharkfin inlays (just a personal preference).
                        KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                        I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Oh I'd LOVE a 24 fret maple neck with ebony fins - but...... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I DID have a Soloist that was H-S-H - Something about it just wasn't "me" (the never-ending quest to find a "me" guitar [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Newc

Comment

Working...
                          X