DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan

Are SD's more popular because they are better or do they just have more options to offer? When comparing a DiMarzio with a similar SD, I don't hear a lot of difference. I'm curious what you guys think.
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Re: DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan

There is no one better than the other in my opinion. Its a matter of player taste. I have bunch of both and they are both excellent pickups.

I also don't think Duncans are more popular either, maybe better distribution with manufactures of new guitars.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

I prefer DiMarzio, but I like EMGs and Duncans, too.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm a fan of Dimarzio's, but that's mostly because I've had an easier time locating used models, for a little less $$$.

I will definitely be investing in Duncans sometime down the road....

Comment

My taste is for the Duncans.

Comment

To me Duncans always sounded better to me
            Back in the day my SD Charvel came with the DiMarzio
            I ordered it with a Duncan Distortion
            It sounded like shit to me till the DeMarzio was replaced with the Duncan

Just my .02

Comment

I prefer Dimarzios because the models I like {sl, and X2N} are typically quieter than SDs as far as hum goes.

The hum on SDs drives me nuts, but I'd take a nice quiet EMG over both options.

Comment

I like both. For Seymour Duncan, I prefer the Custom and for Dimarzio I prefer the Super 3
                "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I think its easier to look thru the SD models, cause they got numbers...

Also, I read that DiM have slitly more upper highs. But I'm not sure about this.

Comment

I like 'em all. I love Bartolinis as well.
                    Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I like both. For Seymour Duncan, I prefer the Custom and for Dimarzio I prefer the Super 3

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 Here. It definitely is a matter of taste and what one hears through the whole proceess, with wood combinations etc.
                      I think the popularity is based on the "market" production guitars like said above. Example:Ibanez=DiMarzio, FMIC=Seymour Duncan. I wonder how these companies decide? Maybe economic, lowest bidder? I always liked the Lace pickups on Fender's. They dropped the majority to put "Low Noise" Fender single coils on. I believe the only Fender production guitar left with Lace's is the Robert Cray model. Pickups are very subjective, what's sounds great to one ear, the other, sounds like crap. I think it is a marketing thing.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I think there shouldn't be comparison between DiMarzio and SD in abstract but between different models, for instance I like very much DiMArzio HSs and Super distortion, while I don't like pus like FRED and Tone zone, while on the other side I like very much the Alnico II pros and the custom custom, but not at all the jazz and the JB...

But brands work very well from a qualitative point of view, therefore it's just a matter of tastes for a particular sound...
                        '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                        '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                        '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                        '92 Fender Strat scallop
                        '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                        '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

i like them both BUT i have some older dimarzios that have gone microphonic. something i havent had happen in older duncans. & older like 20 yrs

Comment

DiMarzio is evil.They got the rights to produce paf's by suing gibson.
                            I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              DiMarzio is evil.They got the rights to produce paf's by suing gibson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually AFAIK Dimarzio registered the name "PAF" before Gibson, and after in the 80s when Gibson reissued the "Paf" pickup they forced them to change name thus the pickup became the "classic '57"...

Wicked! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                              '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                              '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                              '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                              '92 Fender Strat scallop
                              '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                              '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Working...
                              X