SD Pearly Gates neck position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Pearly Gates neck position?

WHats the word on these? I've heard good things. I just scored one in brand new condition on eBay for 46 bucks. I figured I'd give it a shot. I needed a match for the SD Custom (zebra) I picked up from Vanosborne. These will be going into my SLATQH.

Any experience/thoughts on the Pearly Gates in the neck pos?
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Re: SD Pearly Gates neck position?

I had a couple of Bridge models, but haven't heard of the neck ones.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thin and generic sounding in the bridge. It might be ok in theneck though. Especially on an SLATQH. The output will be similar to the custom so it should balance pretty well.

Comment

Let me know how it sounds in the neck, please. I was really close to throwing one in a Charvie but, didn't want to take a chance at being disappointed, and defaulted to a '59. From what I hear, it's like the '59 but with better harmonics.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          From what I hear, it's like the '59 but with better harmonics.

[/ QUOTE ]
          I don't know about the Pearly Gates personally, but I do have the Pearly Gates Plus in my Double Fat Strat with a '59 and really like it. According to Duncan's FAQ section on their site, the Pearly Gates Plus has a little more gain and is brighter, is supposed to be very similar to the '59.

"What's the difference between your Pearly Gates pickup and the Pearly Gates Plus on a Lone Star Strat®?
          The Pearly Gates is rather different than the "Pearly Gates Plus" that is on the Lone Star StratTM. The Pearly Gates Plus is only available on that guitar and not made for retail sales. The main difference in these pickups is that a Pearly Gates has Alnico II magnets, while the Pearly Gates Plus has Alnico V magnets. Alnico V magnets tend to give a brighter, glassier tone, while Alnico II magnets tend to have a warmer, rounder, more mid-rangier tone. The closest pickup available in our regular line to a Pearly Gates Plus is a '59 Model with 4-conductor cable. The '59 is an Alnico V pickup with a wind very close to that of the Pearly Gates Plus. The '59 usually comes in single conductor cable, but it can be ordered with the 4-Conductor wiring option."
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had a pair of Pearly Gates in my Hamer Special FM. They were really goof pickups, just a tad too bright for my taste. The harmonics are really good, and they do cut through the mix. Not as bass heavy or smooth as a 59.

Comment

Working...
            X