Good affordable tuner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good affordable tuner?

I've been looking at various reviews of Peterson's VS-ll virtual strobe tuner. Its alittle pricey. Most reviews are very good, they speak very highly of it. Are there any others that alittle more affordable and provide good quality and accuracy intonating? If not, then going with a VS-ll is what I'll do. Is it (VS-ll) really as good as many are saying?
    Thanks.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Re: Good affordable tuner?

I use a Boss TU12H. I don't think strobes are good for anything but tearing your hair out.

Pete would disagree. So there ya go.

Comment

Tu-2
      Tu-12

Comment

+1 on the TU-2.
        My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

I've been using the Peterson StroboStomp foot unit. It's fantastic and even has the offset tunings including the Buzz Feitin tuning settings.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

+2 on the TU-2.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I compared my Peterson VS-II to a Korg CA30 tuner. Everyone knows what the cheap needle tuners are like. A friend gave me a tip saying to try plucking the string at the 12th fret when tuning. Now the Korg had an easy time finding the note and when I compared the tuning to the Peterson, there wasn't $200 of difference. If you haven't tried this, you might try it and see how happy you are with the results.

I still like the Peterson because you can use it to really zero in on the exact tuning, which has made me better at tuning by ear because now I know what it should sound like. Since I have several guitars that I'm always tweaking as well as helping friends setup their guitars, the Peterson seems faster to use. However, I have had the problems with using some kind of transducer (the clip-on or suction cup tuners) to tune an acoustic. You can run into problems using one of these units with the ac adapter. I use it enough that I would almost consider moving up to a used 490. I'm not sure how rugged the VS-II is, I've only had it about 4 months. I'm sure the pedal is tougher. At the same time, my repair shop uses a VS-II.

Comment

I like the Boss TU-2 pedal and the TU-8 handheld tuners.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

As a tech I use both the Peterson V-SAM(which is pretty much a VS-2 with a metronome and tone generator built in). I love using it for repairs and stuff, but onstage, both with my own band and the bands I work for, I use the BOSS TU-2. It is much easier to read, and by the nature of the guitar, the tuning "changes" by so many factors onstage(picking technique, strings elasticity, temperature differences), that trying to get within .1 cent accurate is a fool's errand.

Comment

Boss TU2, accurate, affordable, high quality, I think even a 5 year warranty, easy to see on a dark stage.

Comment

i have a tu-2 and a tu-8 and peterson strobe software for my computer. if you are looking for something to use live go with a tu-2 (that's what i use it for) but if you want perfect innotation i wouldn't trust it. i'd go with a tu-8 or better (tu-12) or if you are real anal go with the peterson! however i have to say that my tu-8 does just as good a job of innotating a guitar as the peterson strobe software does.

-Mike
                      www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

I use an Impelli metronome and the tuner on it is quite good.

I plan on getting a Korg DT-10 for the stage though.

s

p.s How do I subscribe to threads to receive notification of replies?

Comment

I wouldn't consider the Strobostomp affordable. Its not a little pricey. Its alot pricey.
                          The Boss tuners are affordable. The Danelectro pedal tuner is affordable. Behringer makes a good cheap pedal tuner.
                          Personally, I use both the TU2 and the TU12.

Comment

Behringer is coming out with a rack tuner BTR2000 for only $89 MSRP. It includes a light and metronome. It will probably sell for about $59 on Musicians Friend it should be out with in the next two months.

http://www.behringer.com/BTR2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG
                            Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

The VSII is THE most accurate tuner in the world outside of the Rackmounted Petersens... you´ll never buy or even use another tuner unless you sell it first.

The TU-2 is also a good unit, has served many well for decades... but it´s comparing a fighter jet to a cropduster.. yeah, they both fly, and that´s almost the end of the similarities [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X