Tube amp n00b needs help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube amp n00b needs help!

hey guys, I've got a Laney VC50 2x12 that I got used from GC-country. I'll preface by saying that I know dick-all about tubes, really (this was only my second "proper" amp, so to speak). According to Laney's site, it has 6 ECC83/12AX7 preamp tubes, and 2 5881 power tubes.

Anyways, the amp sounds great, and I love the tone, but it's had some issues lately. There is a gain AND drive control, and to get a decent metal tone, I usually have the gain at about 1 o'clock and the drive at 3 o'clock. Recently, when I have the volume on my guitar down, the amp starts to squeal a bit - it's not feedback, just a high pitched squeal. It's also been seeming very noisy. Now, I haven't changed the tubes yet, so I know I might have to do that, but I have no idea what's what, etc. Any ideas?
    Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Re: Tube amp n00b needs help!

More than likely a preamp tube, and most likely V1, or the tube closest to your amp's input jack.

Pete

Comment

Sorry Pete, I have to disagree. I've seen this before, and nine times out of ten is a malevolent spirit that has decided to reside in your amp. I suggest that you take your amp to your local witchdoctor and have the problem fixed ASAP.

Comment

Sweet. I'll get on that, but first I have to make the sacrifices...
        Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Its one of 2 things or both.
          Its either a bad preamp tube or your guitars pickup has gone microphonic and needs to be properly potted.
          I will guess its a bad preamp tube.

Comment

Working...
          X