Jackson Imports vs. Ibanez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Imports vs. Ibanez

I was just wondering where the Jackson DK-2's stack up quality wise with Japanese Ibanez. I love the price but I'm concerned about quality / craftsmanship.

Also, how about the DR7? I have an Ibanez Rg 7421 that I'm thinking about replacing with a Jackson. Any opinions? [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: Jackson Imports vs. Ibanez

*braces himself for the onslaught* [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Welcome to the Jackson Charvel Forum, where we give you HONEST opinions of why Jackson guitars are far superior to other brands. Namely: Ibanez. If you want a GREAT price on a DK2, click the link on the top of this page for Online Stage Gear. We let them sponsor us for a reason!! In my experience as a metal guitar player for the last 11 years, I would have to say that the quality and craftsmanship of Japanese Jackson guitars is nothing short of first rate. I have played Ibanez, and I did like the way that some of their necks felt, but across the board, Jacksons just kick butt. Many more people will put this into quantitive terms, or try and obscure the truth with facts, but plain and simple, get a Jackson, get it set up RIGHT, and you will never be able to play a Ibanez again. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Jackson imports are, in my experience, far superior in quality to the overpriced, overrated, and severely laughable offerings of Ibanez.
        As with all affordable imports, there are corners cut, but where Ibanez and Jackson differ is that Jackson uses quality wood and construction - Ibanez doesn't. Jackson offers passable-but-easily replaceable hardware and pickups - you don't have to route the body to fit a real Floyd Rose in a DK-2 like you do with an Ibenhad.

With a Jackson, you won't look like a Gnu-Metal jackoff [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Both Ibanez AND Jackson imports are widely available through many retail outlets. Play the guitars and make your OWN decision. Don't come to a Jackson forum and expect completely un-biased opinions because it won't happen. Personally, I think both company's make reasonably good imports, but I think the DK-2, DX-MG, and DK-MGT wins out in the long run. Play and make your own decision.

In the 7-string area is where things differ considerably. It is MY OPINION FROM EXPERIENCE that Jackson needs a special headstock for the 7's. The Tilt Back, 7 to a side angled and pointy headstock creates tuning issues because of how long it ends up being. To much flexabilty.

And yea, you won't look like a "Gnu-Metal Jackoff" playing a Jackson, but some would say you WILL look like someone stuck in the past (Sorry NewC, had to be said)

Comment

Who's stuck in the past? Come on, the 70's are over! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Long live the 80's! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

DON'T BUY A JACKSON unless you are ready to be hooked on the dam things for the next 20-30 years.
              [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Ibanez RG 7420? Just upgrade to an Ibanez 7620 with the Lo Pro Edge. They are always on E Bay and are always in the 400 dollar range.

Comment

Hi there.

I own both Ibanez and Jackson guitars and can tell you that it entirely depends on the guitars you're comparing.

I own an Ibanez Prestige 3120 which is a high-end Japanese model. It lists for $1499 (I payed less than half and they're even cheaper now!) and its an AWESOME guitar and can compare favorably to many Jackson guitars. Its a matter of preference but the build quality is excellent. I happen to think that the neck on it is one of the most comfortable I've ever played.

I also own a '92 Dinky Reverse Professional which I put DiMarzio pickups in. I don't remember exactly, but I believe I spent about $500 on it new. The guitar is awesome. Better than any guitar I've played in that price range at the time. I play it to this day and love it.

So basically, try them both out. At the moment, retailers are offering some excellent deals on the 2002 Prestige models.

Comment

I visited one of the local stores today, because I was buying an old EMG-58 from a guy who works there. While I was waiting for him to show up I had a look around.

I saw no new Jacksons on the walls. =( There was just this one used Dinky Reverse (JT580LP, H-S-H config) with poorly setup action sitting around in a corner. Last time I was in, they had a new trans blue KE3 there, but it was gone now. Good sign I guess. =)

To be fair, it was one of the smaller shops (which, in a smaller Swedish city like this, is very small - at least compared to US standards), and they only had one Ibanez in as well.

After I got the pickup and left, I took a stroll past the largest music store in town. I didn't bother to go inside, but I could spot a couple of dinkies through the window.

This is pretty much how it's always been in Sweden. There is no problem finding Jacksons, but they're all imports. Any US model you run across has probably been ordered by/for a specific customer and they're asking very high prices for them. =(

Oh well. Sticking to topic, I've always wanted a Jackson because they are just so cool. =) I've test-played a wide selection of Ibanez guitars, but none of them really tickled my pickle enough for me to buy one. It's my opinion that in many cases, the Ibby's tend to be setup better in the shops though. I don't know why. If you pick up a Jackson import here, it will probably have a mediocre setup at best, and it will be up to you to fix it.

*EDIT:
                    Forgot that it's obligatory around here to post pics of new purchases. Well, here she is:

Ain't she a beauty? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

'bane

[ April 30, 2003, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Sunbane ]

Comment

Thanks guys for all the reponses. Maybe I should clarify things just a little. I have owned Jacksons and Charvels all my life. I've had the low end stuff all the way up to couple of USA beauties. I know Jackson stuff is top notch and I love em (for Nu and Old School, by the way).

What I was interested in finding out was the DK-2's quality. I was under the impression that they were built in Korea or worse. I've also heard that the pick ups are garbage, which doesn't bother me at all considering that I'd change em out anyway. My concerns however were the wood and the tone. I can drop a new bridge and pickups in with ease but if the wood is trash or the frets are poorly installed it makes them more of a hassle than saving up for USA.

For features I like Ibanez but they generally lack the tone that the Charvel's and Jackson's I've owned had. At this point I can't afford a USA and was looking at the DK-2. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Go with the DK2. As far as I know, they've always been made in Japan, and the JT580LP is pretty good.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The DK2 is definitely a great guitar - and the stock pickups sound quite nice as well. Playability and craftmanship are excellent for an instrument below 400$, and the JT580 has not yet failed me. Except for the trem bar getting loose after a short period of time, but that doesn't bother me. It still works and holds tune well.

Comment

On the low end side of things, I once owned an Ibanez RG-140 that my girlfriend bought me. I added a new Kahler trem and replaced the humbucker with a SH-8 Invader. All this just to get this cheap guitar off the ground. It still performed subpar so I traded it for partial payment on a tube poweramp.

Note to self: never get rid of a guitar your girlfriend bought you unless you're getting rid of the girlfriend too.

Years later, girlfriend is my wife. She buys me a red Charvel I've was eyeing. I've been told it's a Fusion, similar to a 275 Deluxe. Nearly same price as the Ibanez, both Japanese, low end models. The Charvel flat outperforms the Ibanez of similar year, style, features, and price. No comparison. Wife and I are divorced now. I still own the Charvel. Not because of "note to self" but because it's that good. I will always love her for buying me that guitar.

Comment

Yeah, but your comparing a more higher end Charvel to a ton cheaper and lower end Ibanez.

Here's what it's like to me.

If you gave me a choice between a Model series Charvel and an RG550, 565, 570, etc. of the same price.. I would choose the Ibanez guitars.

Comment

Working...
                              X