Best buy, X, MG or Pro series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best buy, X, MG or Pro series?

I was just wondering what everyone thinks of the X and MG series guitars. In particular I want to know how they compare to the professional series guitars. I’ve recently played a KVX10 that I wasn’t at all impressed with. The reason I’m asking this is because a friend of mine wants to by an import Jackson and he has been looking at a WRXT. I don’t think the X series guitars are nearly as good quality as the Pros, so I’m going to try to get him to hold out for a pro series guitar. Anyone have any opions to offer on what series of import Jacksons would be a good buy for the money? Thanks.

[ April 28, 2003, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Chris Lantz ]

Re: Best buy, X, MG or Pro series?

If you're talking about the Professional series, then I'd have to say it's a tossup. If you're talking the Pro series, everything I've heard says they're much better than the current imports.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
      If you're talking about the Professional series, then I'd have to say it's a tossup. If you're talking the Pro series, everything I've heard says they're much better than the current imports.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was thinking about current imports. What's the difference between the Pro and Professional series? I thought they were the same thing (that's why I come here for info).

Comment

Professional series are earlier than the PRO series. The Pro series doesn't have Professional printed in the headstock.
        Facebook - Youtube

Comment

OK, I was basing my assesment on having played some of the older professionals assuming that the newer Pro series guitars are pretty much the same. Is it pretty safe to assume the current model bolt on X, MG, and Pros close to each other in price are also close to each other in quality?

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1:
            Professional and Pro are not the same series?

This is a pic of my 1993 Rhoads headstock - all original. Tell me if it's a Professional or a Pro....
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is from the Professional series (it says that right on the headstock). What confuses things here, is that this model was named "Rhoads Pro". This was the top of the line in the Professional series. There was also "Rhoads Std" (neck-thru, dotted non-bound rosewood fretboard) and "Rhoads EX" (bolt-on) in the professional series - possibly some others as well, but I don't remember...

The newer Pro series guitars don't have the word "Professional" on the headstock - nor any model names on the truss rod plates, as far as I know.

'bane

Comment

Is it me, or is that headstock a real awesome shade of blue?

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
                Is it me, or is that headstock a real awesome shade of blue?
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I thought so too! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                I think it's just the photo tho'.

'bane

Comment

It's taken outside in blue sky weather and i think the pic got some photoshop treatment as well. That explains it.
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

My take on the current imports is that as long as it is a new made in Japan model, be it an X, MG, or Pro, they are all pretty good. I don't think there is anything wrong with the X series, they just have some different features and shouldn't play any worse than the others. The X series used to be made in India, and there was a notable quality difference then. If you still aren't comfortable with the X series I don't think you could go wrong with a pro (dk2) or mg (dkmg).

They can all be a good buy for the money at the "right price", I'd start with onlinestagegear.

Comment

Being the owner of a Pro and a former owner of the Professional models I hope I can shed some light on the subject.

Professional Series: I had a Dinky Reverse Professional made in 1994. All in all it sounded good and played good. The neck was pretty much the same as current import DK2 and the DXMG. It had the same bridge, JT580LP and control layout. The body was poplar and was kinda heavy for a dinky body, but it felt good. I wish Jackson would put this model out again.

Pro series: I have a DK2 with trans blue over a flame maple top. I have owned about 10 guitars since I bought it last year and it's the one that never get considered for sale. I will have this guitar as long as it will last. The pickups aren't too bad. The bridge pickup is a close copy to the Seymour Duncan JB and the singles are pretty nice as well. I love the bridge. It's a JT580LP like the Professional Series had or at least damn close. The only thing that is lesser in quality in my opinion is the volume and tone pots. Mine burned out on me and the knobs had way too much play. I replaced them and now it's back on it's feet.

DXMG: I have played several of these and found them to be just as killer as the DK2. They are pretty much the same except for the EMG HZ pickups. I think the EMG HZ's sound alright. I have a new found passion for pickup upgrades so I would toss em for EMG 81/85 set.

I would say the DK2, DXMG, DKMG and WRMG are worht every penny. Hell, I played my friends Jackson SL1 and couldn't stand it compared to my DK2. I'm not much into neck thru guitars. I would gig with my DK2 and did gig with my Dinky Reverse Professional. My DK2 is my main guitar. I can't say enough about them. They're grrrrreat!

Comment

Professional and Pro are not the same series?

This is a pic of my 1993 Rhoads headstock - all original. Tell me if it's a Professional or a Pro....

Henrik
                        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I got a warrior xt and it plays awesome great guitar they play nicer than the whole new charvel line , and yes I did try em back to back and yes it did play better and the neck is crazy thin ! and this is what it sounds like in the studio with stock pu's and all http://www.mp3.com/Severed_Serenity the wrxt is a good buy . //Steve

Comment

.....oh yeah........if your facing your speakers my guitar is on the left .//Steve

Comment

Hey, that's nice music Steve! =)

I'm not a big fan of the singing style, but that's just my personal opinion. It all seems to work nicely together. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

Working...
                              X