RR3.....to buy or not to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR3.....to buy or not to buy?

I have been bitten by the RR bug. Once I'm back on my feet I plan to buy one in black. I need some feedback on it. Likes, dislikes, balance and anything else of importance. I have played V shape guitars before. I have picked up an RR model before, but never got to strap it on and realy take it for a good test drive. NEED INPUT.

Re: RR3.....to buy or not to buy?

They are for the extremist, agressive and menacing. Nice balance and very comfortable while standing.

Go for it dude! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    Facebook - Youtube

Comment

I was listening to WASP earlier and thought about getting a V shape guitar. I plan on getting it in black and then going black with all the hardware. I want a Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. I'm kinda waiting for the new stuff to come out this summer. If they do a 24 fretter and add some binding I will pawn my left nut for one.

Comment

Stuff that could be better:

* Balance: This is a very personal opinion. I prefer having the guitar stable at a 45 degree angle rather than level to the floor, so the RR3 feels just a wee bit neck-heavy to me. I think the KV would be better for me in this respect.

* JT580LP. It's actually pretty good, but after I put .010's on, it doesn't hold its tuning quite as well. With the .009's on, I could do anything with it and still be in tune. Not so anymore - unfortunately.

* Pickguard. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I'm not a fan of the pickguards, but since all my hardware is black (unlike other RR3's), it doesn't stand out as much as it usually does.

* The neck shifts a lot with temperature, and I still don't own the correct truss-rod wrench. =(

Good stuff:

I absolutely dig the shape. =) Few guitars have the same stylish and aggressive look.

I have yet to find anything that I can attribute to poor build quality on this guitar. Everything is in its place, no visible cracks anywhere, nicely done inlays, etc... Even the fret ends are much nicer than a lot of other guitars in the same price range.

However, if you're getting a bolt-on RR, I would definately have a look at a used Rhoads EX. It's on the spartanic side, with only 1 pot and a blade switch, and dot inlays instead of sharks - but it's also made in Japan and doesn't have that ugly pickguard. =)

'bane

Comment

Well Jon I guess that answers the question I brought up in chat last night...

Comment

I've got an RR2, and the balance still seems great to me even though it has a bolt-on neck. I'd never owned a V prior to getting it, only Dinky or Soloist types, and had no trouble adjusting to it. No problems with the import trem either.
            sigpic

Comment

It's like esp Boxcar.

YOU GOT MAIL Word!

Comment

Or find a bolt-on USA RR2. They have no inlays, Armstrong pickups, but I think they have the import JT580LP trem. The import trem has always been fine with me on the two Dinkies and Kelly I had with it, stayed in tune fine with 10-46 in E, Eb and D.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like Word's axe is going to be mine soon. Pink pickups.........my wife is going to have a field day with me. You guys should have heard what she said about the surf green Strat I had.

Thanks Word............again.

Comment

A Rhoads is the finest stage/live guitar there is. It's balance and especially the placement of the fretboard versus your fret-arm and body is P-E-R-F-E-C-T

You raise your fret-arm to a natural position and the 12th fret welcomes you to solo heaven [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

*COUGH* or buy my trans blue one in great condition with DiMarzios for $250. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I really like Rhoads shaped guitars, but honestly.. I need 24 frets. Plus I need more cash for something else. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Balancing a bolt-on V is simple - put the strap pin on the end of the neck pocket like this:

Newc
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                          Balancing a bolt-on V is simple - put the strap pin on the end of the neck pocket like this:
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmm, that is a good idea. =)
                          However, wouldn't you have to remove the neck to be able to pre-drill the hole for the strap pin? I feel a bit intimidated at that prospect. =P
                          Other than that, I'd just have to modify my strap somewhat for it to work.
                          Thanks for the tip man! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

No problem, Jon! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

You don't have to remove the neck. It is, however, a simple process as well: loosen the strings, remove the trem springs, unscrew the neck bolts, move the strap pin, put the neck back on, put the trem springs on, tighten the strings.

To do it without taking the neck off, use a cordless screwdrive or a very small drill - it should fit right against the back of the neck just fine.

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X