Japanese Serial Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Serial Numbers

Does anyone here have any information on japanese jackson serial numbers?
    I'd like to know what year an RR with the serial number 9679509 was made in.

Thanks

Re: Japanese Serial Numbers

I've got a DK2, which is from '02 and the serial number reads 9680770, so I guess the 2nd digit isn't the year it was made - on newer guitars anyway, don't know about older ones.

Comment

Thanks!

I don't think that they use that method on Japanese guitars though, as I would expect this one to have been built somewhere between 2000 and 2002.

That RR of yours seems interesting, do you have any pics of it?

Comment

Ok, well then that number issue is cleared up. =)

I don't have any pics of my Rhoads, since I don't own a digital camera (or even a normal one). =( If I get some cash left, I'll probably just spend it on new pups anyway. =)

'bane

Comment

The first digit says it's a bolt-on guitar, built in Japan. All japanese bolt-ons have a 7 digit number, starting with a 9. The second number usually indicates the year it was made, but I'm not enitrely sure that this is true for japanese bolt-ons. If it is, your guitar was probably built in '96.

Interesting note: I also have a bolt-on Rhoads that I'm not entirely sure what model it is. It's probably an early RR3, but contrary to most RR3's I've seen, it has black harware & pickguard, non-reversed inlays and Jackson pups instead of Duncan Designed. It is metallic black, which (according to the old info page) was only offered for the RR3 in '97, but the neckplate indicates it was built in '96.

'bane

Comment

Black hardware and Jackson pickups indicates mid-90's (93-95), I believe. Could be up to a coupla years later, though.

Duncan Designed pickups started in 99, I think?

If Japanese numbers are sequential, Baum's was made 1261 guitars after yours, so I'd guess yours is a 2001.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
              Black hardware and Jackson pickups indicates mid-90's (93-95), I believe. Could be up to a coupla years later, though.

If Japanese numbers are sequential, Baum's was made 1261 guitars after yours, so I'd guess yours is a 2001.

Newc
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the info! Yeah, it's probably a 2001 model.

Comment

The serial doesn't indicate anything. To the best of my knowledge, they're numbered sequentially. Or somewhere near it, anyway. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I've seen import serial numbers ranging from 100xxxx to 969xxxx. As an example, 967xxxx was the most prevalent prefix when I started working at Jackson. Close to the end, the serials were in the 969 range. Yes, that would put your guitar in roughly a 2000-2002 range.

Comment

All japanese bolt-ons have a 7 digit number, starting with a 9.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you talking about RR's specifically? My Jap bolt-on dinky is 702547 [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] .
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This same dinky has Duncan Designed pick-ups in it and I bought it new in '97. Not sure when it was made or how long it was in the store, so I refer to it as a '96-'97.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                    The serial doesn't indicate anything. To the best of my knowledge, they're numbered sequentially. Or somewhere near it, anyway. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I've seen import serial numbers ranging from 100xxxx to 969xxxx. As an example, 967xxxx was the most prevalent prefix when I started working at Jackson. Close to the end, the serials were in the 969 range. Yes, that would put your guitar in roughly a 2000-2002 range.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the info, so I was right about the range [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Truth is there is no rhyme or reason to the japanese serial system with a few exceptions. I used to know it all by heart but not too much anymore. However...I do have a cheat sheet I made up. The numbers are production numbers, no real signifigance as to date of manufacture to us mortals.

There are exceptions, neck thru are year distinctive. Oh and not all Japanese have 7 digits, some had 5 or 6 or 8 or 9 i even made some with 4 just for fun! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Truth be known, all companies are like that in some way or another. There was a period where the first digit reprsented the year on bolt ons but that became impossible to keep up with when 2000 hit since the indian guitars alredy used it over there and there had to be some comprehensive and easily recognizable number for us to use in japan.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but maybe I can clear up some of this kinda stuff when I get the info site completed????

Comment

Urk, what a mess. -_-
                        This means that all I can say for certain about my guitar, is that it's a Jackson with a Rhoads shaped body. It could just be a parts mutt for all I know. =(

Originally posted by VooDooBoy:
                        Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but maybe I can clear up some of this kinda stuff when I get the info site completed????
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, that'll be great. =) [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

not strictly true. There are usually indicators that will point to a particular period. You may not find out the exact year, but post a pic and folks around here can help you zero in on what model you have and what period it was built.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Okay, okay! IN GENERAL Japanes guitars have 7 digit numbers. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I always wondered why it was that the Indian made guitars had a better serial scheme than the Japanese guitars. Now I know.

I'm reminded of the good ol' days of... umm... last summer...

"Hey Kevin, this guy on the phone bought Charvel at a pawnshop and doesn't know his @$$hole from a tremolo so any questions I ask are answered with a resounding 'I don't know'. All he knows is that it's white and has frets."

"Umm... just tell him it's a Model 4. That usually works." [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Ok, my KV4 has the number 011468... does tell you anything? Was bought from Matt during last fall, so I'm guessing it was one of the last one built.
                              I have no eyes, fuck-mook!

Comment

Working...
                              X