what do I have???? want details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do I have???? want details

Just picked up a soloist xl professional, solid neck thru, all pickups have jackson on them, the humbucker has rails instead of screws, floyd trem with charvel logo, and a dark green metal flake finish. serial num is j200837. right now it has a volume and 5 way switch. There is a 2way switch where the tone should be (salesman said it was for splitting the hb for that single sound but upon close inspection it is not even hooked up.) spent 400 for it. I was looking for something of quality at a resonable price and was stoked when i found this and put it on layaway. at first i thought it was a 86 model made in san dimas but when i found this forum i read that "professionals" are jap models and maybe not as good. (when i went to the jackson web site i looked at the serial number page, missed the comment at the top that the list was only for american made models, and thought that the 2 extra numbers in the serial were additional coding or something.) anyway what do i have. year? stock or modified pickups. where do i get the parts to replace the tone control and what values are they? i have spent the last few days reading all of the great comments here from you guys and can say i am proud to become a jackson bro or what ever you call yourselves. I love the history and have dug the music these guitars have provided over the years and look forward to recreating some of the magic and making some new stuff. strung it up for the first time today and after adjusting the trem so i could tune it, got my first taste of metal heaven. OK time for me to shut up and listen.... [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Re: what do I have???? want details

Nice axe, and a great first Jackson. The Soloist XL was made in Japan Professional series approx. 1991 - 1995. They were very similar to (and just under) the highly regarded (MIJ) Soloist Pro, with the main differences being that the XL has a rosewood fretboard and painted logo. The neck is maple, with sharkfins and 24 jumbo frets. I believe the body is poplar. The cool feature on the XLs is that the neck & headstock are bound, unlike later era MIJ Professionals. I'm not real sure on the pickups, and you say the trem has a Charvel logo?
    I would've guessed it would have a 590 Schaller. Possibly it was changed? Unfortunately the Info Page section still hasn't come online, although I think at least a couple JCFers are working on it. I believe the Soloist XL was the only XL model that was neck through. I have a '95 Kelly XL (bolt-on) and I really like it. I had a Charvel 475 in the exact color as yours - really pretty.

Welcome.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Ron, nice to see you making a contribution to the board other than your normal spell checking! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yeah, nice guitar. As Ron said above it's just a notch below the reverred Soloist Pro. I believe what you have is from 1992. You can use any 250 K ohm pot for the tone control.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I shouldnt be too worried about its origins and just bask in the sounds it creates and the feel of it in my hands. Man I do love that neck and the HUGE frets. Its almost as if I had scalloped the fingerboard. heres some pix I took today. still have some cleaning up to do on it. Who ever had it had put tape or something over "profesional" on the headstock to make it look like a USA model. The sticky stuff is still there. And isnt there supposed to be a capacitor hooked up to the tone resistor? If yes I need that value too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750:
          Ron, nice to see you making a contribution to the board other than your normal spell checking! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yeah, nice guitar. As Ron said above it's just a notch below the reverred Soloist Pro.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">revered

Bwahahahaha! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hey Joe - I found more funny jpegs & gifs! Check out my recent contributions!

Here's one for you!

[img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Nice guitar, but Scott - maybe you should eat more protein? I mean, from the photo, you don't look like you're doing too well... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
            atg
            The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Tha bullet hole in the forehead led to my drastic weight loss, then the dog started running off wit my bones and now I have to play wit ma teeth. But im hopin to get a gig with Rob Zombie in the near future......

Comment

Working...
              X