Cheap strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap strings?

Has anyone here ever tried any of those cheap no-name strings like the ones they sell on ebay. They always claim that they are from the same factory as major brands, etc.. Anyone had any luck? Interested in 9-42 and 10-46 sets. Are they all junk?

Re: Cheap strings?

No they're not junk there are only 3 or 4 manufacturers of strings . Stings are all machine made the differences are what they pay to promote them.

Comment

Try 'em!
      I pay for good strings.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        No they're not junk there are only 3 or 4 manufacturers of strings . Stings are all machine made the differences are what they pay to promote them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about that??
        I would believe there is 4 or 5 manufacturers that make generic strings for guitar makers and importers but I find it hard to believe that the most popular brands don't make their own strings.
        D'Addario
        Ernie Ball
        GHS
        Gibson
        Fender
        Elixer
        SIT
        Dean Markley
        DR

Comment

Carvin strings rock... they're GHS Boomers in Carvin packaging, and they're a couple bucks cheaper than most other brands.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure about that??
            I would believe there is 4 or 5 manufacturers that make generic strings for guitar makers and importers but I find it hard to believe that the most popular brands don't make their own strings.
            D'Addario
            Ernie Ball
            GHS
            Gibson
            Fender
            Elixer
            SIT
            Dean Markley
            DR

[/ QUOTE ]

I´m pretty sure that each of the manufacturers named hzere winds their own, and there are also Pyramid , GEWA and other companies in Europe that wind for a few companies that rebadge them...

Comment

Sure, some of the "big" string makers wind strings for other companies, but they are a different construction and spec string, made exclusively for that company. Different alloys, different measurements of core and windings, different core shapes, wound at different tensions...

Cheap strings are...cheap. There IS a difference. Recently I was setting up a Fender Strat with a set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky 10's. I could NOT get that guitar to play in tune all over the neck, in spite of what I did to the intonation. It wouldn't hold a tune worth a damn, either. On a hunch, I pulled the fresh Ernie Balls and slapped on a set of D'Addarios...problems solved. All of them.

I like D'Addarios and DR's.

Comment

I plat D'Addario's, sometimes EB's when money is an object.

Elixirs occasionally, but D'addario's are more than good enough for me.
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Chuck - I found the same problem with EB strings. I've been playing GHS forever and one day decided to try EB strings on a couple guitars. I could not get those fuckers to stay in tune. I quickly replaced the with my trusty GHS Boomers.
                  "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                  I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

boomers are the best for the money. They're the only string I've used for well over 20 years. That's not to say I can play well enough to be picky.....but I think I can!
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Try DR strings I get more time out of them.I can get D'addario's for less than $4.00 a pack.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I usually use D'addarios that I buy off of ebay. They work fine for me. I just always see these off brand strings on ebay. I guess its not worth trying to save a few bucks on cheap strings.

Comment

It's a personal quest, really. I mean, hell, check them out, your mileage may vary and all that.
                          It's just been my (many) years of experience that the buck saved is spent in headaches anyhoo.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            D'addario's are more than good enough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fo Shizzle

A perfectly set up guitar and a set of addario's is all I need. I never go out of tune. Ive used the other brands but I prefer addario. Both acoustic and electric [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Carvin strings rock... they're GHS Boomers in Carvin packaging, and they're a couple bucks cheaper than most other brands.

[/ QUOTE ] Hell,you can buy Boomers at Walmart for $3.69. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] 9's or 10's.
                              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                              X