Where is my sustain???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is my sustain???

i have a japanese or korean warrior, with a bolt on neck, and an EMG 81 in the bridge. my string guage is .59, .46 .36. 17. 13. 10. yes i play in drop c with my band, and yes i have a stack of the .26's i never use out of a regular pack. I go through a crate blue voodoo 120h (probably from 2000), no effects into a marshall 1960 with G12T75s i have literally NO sustain on my high strings beyond around the 17th fret. my set up is fine, intonation good, but i do block the flloyd on this guitar. WHY?????????

Re: Where is my sustain???

bigger strings use the 26,17,13 ditch the 10.

Comment

I had sustain problems on my WRMG, turned out to be pickup height.
      Hear the universe scream
      Bleeding from black holes
      Whom horns careless
      And whom God mourns

Comment

I'd say in 90% of the cases, it's caused by too low action. To be able to have the strings right down by the frets, you need a perfect fret job, and the import guitars rarely have that.

.010 for tuning to C? You probably have plenty of string movement, and if you have the action low, it is likely that the notes just buzz out against high frets.

Comment

Yup - fret job, string thickness at that low of a tuning, and pickup height are the prime suspects here.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Another plug for thicker strings, raising the action and having a pro look at the frets [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Start with just raising the action.

Comment

Working...
              X