Should i have my Soloist neck sanded down Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i have my Soloist neck sanded down Poll

I hate the sticky feeling of paint on guitar necks, so should i have the paint on my SL-1 sanded down or all the way to wood and then oiled give me your opinion please, oh yea it is just translucent paint-green [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
    Sand thru the paint and oil the neck
    0%
    Just get the glossy sticky feeling off of the neck
    0%
    This space for rent

Re: Should i have my Soloist neck sanded down Poll

Get it done pro .. I have a soloist with an oiled neck and it kicks ass
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

+1.My Model 5 neck is sanded and oiled, and also kicks ass! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]............
      Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Try cleaning the neck with some guitar polish... that'll get the sticky feeling off of it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i wouldn't do it; i'd just scuff the clear.
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

at lessons tonight i played a custom shop ibanez RG made for my guitar teacher and i want my soloist to play like that. The guitar polish thing didn't do it, it only helped for like 5 minutes, if i scuff the clear will it have that feel i want and also keep the wood protected, I have a BC Rich with an oiled neck and it used to kick ass until i was stupid and put a kramer neck on it (thought the banana thing was cool-plan on going back original though) I want no friction slowing my playing down, thanks guys
            This space for rent

Comment

CLEAN THE FUCKING NECK

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                CLEAN THE FUCKING NECK

[/ QUOTE ]

calm down dude, no need for caps

Comment

Hold up, pallerandersvisa did this thread piss you off, i have CLEANED THE NECK, I just have a thing for unfinished necks and painted necks blow. If anyone can give me pros and cons to sanding thru the clear and not all the paint please do and thanks guys
                  This space for rent

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    i wouldn't do it; i'd just scuff the clear.

[/ QUOTE ]I would do it this way too. Then at a later time, it could probably be buffed back up if you want
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

yeah, the thing with scuffing the neck is that by playing, you'll buff it back shiny again, so it's not a permanent thing, and if you do it enough, you're going to get rid of the finish anyway.

if you DO decide to have it stripped, have a pro do it.

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I stripped the neck on two of my Soloists, and it rocks.

But!

If the neck twists, you are really screwed, so proceed with caution.

Comment

Scuff the finish first, and see how you like it (you can easily do this yourself with some lightly applied 600 grit sandpaper, steel wool, or a green Scotchbrite pad). If you do, you're done. If not, move on to getting the neck stripped.

Comment

Cool i think i will try the scotchbrite pad, thanks guys
                            This space for rent

Comment

I've never understood how anyone could be slowed down by a glossy/painted neck unless the neck was filthy, or their hands were. I'm a warm-blooded guy, and can't stand to have dry palms, but I have no trouble scooting around on a painted neck.
                              My lack of speed is because of my brain-to-fingers link, though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X