Now what is a Floyd Rose II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now what is a Floyd Rose II?

I thought it was the single locking crapper, but the one I saw on a mexican strat today was a decent looking double locker. What makes it a II?
    Is it made of crappy pot-metal? Or does it have some feature not on a regular floyd?
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: Now what is a Floyd Rose II?

I believe the double locking Floyd II is pretty much the same as a Schaller Floyd, except it has hardened steel inserts in the baseplate that the saddle screws thread into. My Lado has a Floyd II, and it's a very nice unit.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have both, the regular double locking one on my Sambora strat and the single locker thats now on my model 3. I think the bases are just a bit more compact than the regular floyd. I dont think that either one is made of crappy metal though. They both work really well for my needs.

Comment

Thanks guys, I just wanted to use the word crap, I have never used a single locking floyd - I owned one for a while, though I never installed it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Thanks guys, I just wanted to use the word crap, I have never used a single locking floyd - I owned one for a while, though I never installed it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
          good call

Comment

The Floyd II bridges were put on lower value guitars. They are cast metal and have a blade insert to contact the pivot posts. They are suseptable to cracking and the pivot blades wear out fast and can get loose. They are alright for temporary use and are allot cheaper to buy but in the long run you are better off going with a OFR. IMO allot of the licenced by Floyd bridges are better than the Floyd II's.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              The Floyd II bridges were put on lower value guitars. They are cast metal and have a blade insert to contact the pivot posts. They are suseptable to cracking and the pivot blades wear out fast and can get loose. They are alright for temporary use and are allot cheaper to buy but in the long run you are better off going with a OFR. IMO allot of the licenced by Floyd bridges are better than the Floyd II's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you are referring to the single locking Floyd II. The Floyd II in my Lado is a very good unit, and since my Lado would have cost over $4,000 when new, that hardly constitutes a lower value guitar.

Comment

Zeegler is correct. The original version of the Floyd II is single-locking... I had one on my old Kramer 600ST I got in '86 or '87. The newer Floyd II is double-locking and is the Schaller version.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had the single locking scjaller on my fusion special (a lower priced guitar) and it was a piece of garbage. I replaced the single locking saddles with double lockers from a cheap floyd copy and now it works great.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I believe the double locking Floyd II is pretty much the same as a Schaller Floyd, except it has hardened steel inserts in the baseplate that the saddle screws thread into. My Lado has a Floyd II, and it's a very nice unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just changed my original Jackson Floyd with a gold one printed "Schaller" and I found that it actually HAS the inserts for the saddle screws, therefore I desume the bridges branded "Schaller" are equivalent to Floyd Rose IIs.

By the way, the baseplate is thicker than the original "Jackson" branded.

My conclusions: Schaller provided "2nd class" quality bridges to various brands while kept the best ones for being sold with its own name and under the "Floyd Rose II" name...

When I can I'll send pics of my soloist with gold hardware,it's sweeet! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                    '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                    '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                    '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                    '92 Fender Strat scallop
                    '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                    '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

I've got an FRII and it looks like a JT580LP (string locks in front of the fine tuners).
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The FRII (current version) is basically the same as the Schaller in either the standard version or the Low Pro version.
                        Gil

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I've got an FRII and it looks like a JT580LP (string locks in front of the fine tuners).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that would be a Floyd Rose Pro.

Comment

Working...
                          X