DKMG Tuning Problems When Using Trem Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DKMG Tuning Problems When Using Trem Bar

I played (and fell in love with) a dark green DKMG at Guitar Center, and decided to brave my wife's wrath by coming home with it. I love the neck and jumbo frets, and the stock pickups aren't too bad either.

However, I'm having a very difficult time keeping the guitar in tune. Strings were given plenty of time to stretch, the locking nut thingies are tightened down, and guitar is tuned. Any use of the tremelo results in the guitar going out of tune. If I push the bar down a bit and release, all the strings are left noticeably flat. If I pull up and release, all the strings are left sharp. Apparently the bridge is not returning perfectly to its "zero" position.

Is this because it's a "licensed by Floyd Rose" and not the original? I had a Floyd Rose on a Fat Strat several years ago, and I seem to recall that it was virtually impossible to knock it out of tune.

I really like this guitar, but if I can't figure out this problem, I'm going to have to return it. Please help me!

--Mike

Re: DKMG Tuning Problems When Using Trem Bar

If you are using the stock strings it came with I would suggest replacing them with new strings like D' Adario XL, Ernie Ball, GHS Boomers or something. Whatever strings you like. Just good ones.

Check and see if the locking nut is loose. Tighten all four screws if they are loose. You could see it when you dive bomb the trem and the nut will move slightly.

The trem posts may not be making good contact with the knife edges on the trem. Turn your trem posts a little and see what happens.

The trem block that screws onto the bridge plate may be loose.

The truss rod may have too much slack and the guitar as a whole could probably use a good thorough setup.

Try that. Process of ellimination. (soory for any mispelled words)

Comment

Many thanks for all the ideas to try. I'll give it a shot.

The problem seems a bit more prominent when I push the bar down and release (I can actually visually see that the bar does not return to the same spot... it remains tilted forward a bit).

I did read in a book last night that another thing to consider is the possibility that the trem springs haven't quite been "broken in" yet... the book quoted a tech from Ibanez who stated that "trem returns flat" is common in brand new guitars, and goes away after a week or two.

--Mike

Comment

Being that it came from Guitar Center, the strings are most likely toast. Put new strings and stretch them out before locking down - judging by your line "they were given plenty of time to stretch.." - they don't stretch automatically.
        Anyhoo, try turning your nut locks 90 degrees.

If you still suspect the springs, I'd say get some new ones from www.stewmac.com. You might also notice a strange resonating sound on certain notes (C) - it's the springs. I got an OFR from Carvin for my DK2 and if I use the original Jackson springs, they resonate, but if I use the OFR springs, they don't.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by mcaswell:
          ...at Guitar Center
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just found your problem! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

As NewC stated....
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Some times the coating on the trem posts is a bit thick and the knife edges dig in so take the trem off change strings clean knife edges,clean trem posts of any exess material (paint),check to makes sure lock nut is tight to the neck,make sure the locking pads are on right (peak running same direction as the strings,make sure trem block is tight and lubricate knife edges and trem springs(where they go into trem block as well as the loop that attaches to the trem claw.I use a dry lube called TW25B just brush on a small amount and your good to go.I found this lube at a machine gun shoot and man this stuff is great.5000 rounds thru my AR-15 with out a hang up or a cleaning.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Is the problem fixed yet? I got the same with my DXMG that I received last week. I'll wait to see if the springs set.

Comment

Working...
              X